Can you believe this? Democratic Senate candidate lied about serving in Vietnam...

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut gave several speeches about his time serving IN Vietnam.
One such speech he said:
“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008.
Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:26 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• PolitiFact is a project of the St. Pete Times to help you find the truth in politics. We research their statements and then rate the accuracy on our Truth-O-Meter – True, Mostly True, Half True, Barely True and False. The most ridiculous falsehoods get our lowest rating, Pants on Fire.

***
    But the TRUTH tends to be taken out of context and "buried" in their justification for their rating. Regardless of WHERE your newspaper headquarters are located, the JOURNALISTS are not required to be conservative or unbiased. Obviously there are enough people in and around Florida for your newspaper to maintain the required LIBERAL subscriber base for the St. Pete Times to stay in business.

We do not subscribe to ANY newspapers, preferring to get our news from MULTIPLE internet news sources--both liberal and conservative, to determine who "says it best" in other words, those who point out the positives AND negatives of politicians!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:24 AM on May. 18, 2010

• We all know he is not alone in staying out of the war.

" But what is striking about Mr. Blumenthal’s record is the contrast between the many steps he took that allowed him to avoid Vietnam, and the misleading way he often speaks about that period of his life now, especially when he is speaking at veterans’ ceremonies or other patriotic events."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:28 AM on May. 18, 2010

• It's not really news that politicians lie. I can't think of one that hasn't.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:38 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Oh, and I'm not defending him. Just thought I'd add that before anyone freaked out.
    acurran88

• Democratic Senator John Kerry "fudged" his Vietnam experience (since he "served" as a PHOTO JOURNALIST!) and how he actually obtained his Purple Hearts, and then supposedly made a "political statement" by throwing them away! Par for the course, I say!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:41 AM on May. 18, 2010

• And the darling of the left, Bill Clinton, escaped war duty by attending Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar!

"Mr. Clinton said he decided in the fall of 1969, while he was in Arkansas after a year studying at Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar, that joining the R.O.T.C. "was sort of an illicit thing to do" because he would have been protected from the draft during his second year at Oxford and for three more years while he was in law school. By then, he said, "I had four of my high school classmates killed in Vietnam, and I just didn't feel right about it."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:44 AM on May. 18, 2010

• And Bush lied about skipping out on his Nat'l Guard Service; your point is what?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Lorikeet - that's not true about Kerry; there is plenty of proof about his service:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on May. 18, 2010

• So, those who seem to have accepted lying as a 'norm' of politicians~ How has the lack of morals you are accepting worked out for the US government?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:49 AM on May. 18, 2010

• LoriKeet-- oh yeah...that's such a huge deal about Clinton. He did something that was totally legal and avoided war duty. No one wants to be forced into it. Why would you want people fighting wars that don't want to be there? I doubt they would do a very good job.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:51 AM on May. 18, 2010