what role should appearence play in a job? should an employer be able to fire you for weight gain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• i think you should look presentable at a job. i dont think they should be able to fire you for weight gain at any job, but if your a stripper or something, then yeah they probably should be able to fire u. lol
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:14 AM on May. 18, 2010

• No, not weight gain, unless there are extenuating circumstances to why a person needs to be of average size to safely do the job. As far as other appearance aspects, yes, employers should have the ability to fire any one that is not an appropriate representative for their business.

for example: most people wouldn't want a guy in ratty clothes, unshaven, looks and smells like a hobo, serving your food in a fine dining restaurant.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:15 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I guess it depends on the job, if being in good shape is apart of your job description then yes they should be able to fire you. When was the last time you saw a fat hooters girl or runway model?
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:17 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I would say that it is not legal to fire someone for weight gain unless of course you were hired in a position that had weight standards in order to even get the job to begin with. Such as professional cheerleaders or being a weightloss coach something along those lines. Then I would think you should be given the chance to conform to the standards.
    But even under those situations it still may not be legal to fire you.

Granna2006

Answer by Granna2006 at 9:17 AM on May. 18, 2010

• For a job such as a police officer or firefighter, they should be given a chance to lose weight, if they don't, I think they should be fired.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 18, 2010

• i'm asking because i saw on the news that they gave a hooters girl 30 days to lose weight or she would be fired. They even gave her a gym membership. She was heavier when she was hired though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Yup they fire Hooters girls all the time for not conforming to company standards
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Hooter has all kinds of crazy rules and regulations but those girls sign a contract and if they do things like gain weight, fail to wear makeup, or even use bobby pins or headbands they can be fired.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:31 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I don't think you should be fired unless you are unable to do your job properly and efficiently. Some jobs, yes, weight gain could be a deal breaker, but as fat as just firing a fat person just because they are fat, no, that is not right at all.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:47 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Why can't they just fire some one, just because they don't like that person? Shouldn't that be reason enough? Why do they have to say things like "we're firing that person because they were too fat"? Makes no sense to me!

My mom used to own a small restaurant and it was mostly family run, but we did need some extra support people. If my Mom hired some one that didn't have a personality that meshed with the rest of us, they were given their walking papers. I wonder though if she was still alive and running her business, would be stuck with every bad hiring decision? Or could she still fire people based on the idea of “I just don’t like you”.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:49 AM on May. 18, 2010