Does voter appathy annoy anyone else?

Today is Pennsylvania's primary election day. Less than 30% of registered voters are expected to turn out. It's kind of sad how many people just don't care!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The not caring bothers me more than the not voting. If people can't be assed to learn a few basics about what's going on the world, I'd prefer they didn't vote based on who has the cutest butt or prettiest eyes. But ideally, they would give a damn and then they would vote.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:16 AM on May. 18, 2010

• It bothers me, but then again, on the other hand, I would rather have a person not vote than vote without bothering to educate themselves on whatever it is that they're voting about. By that, I don't mean that "oh, if you don't agree with me, then you must not have bothered to learn about the issue" - I don't care what side you vote for, as long as you bothered to learn about the people in question, or the issues that are being decided.

So, while yes, I wish more people would vote, I guess I'm sort of glad that they don't, because after all, if you can't bother to fill out an absentee ballot, or take a bit of your time on one day to go vote, then I doubt that they bothered to take the time to educate themselves. So not voting is better than "stupid voting" - kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:17 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Both the not caring and the not voting disgust me..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:19 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I agree with Sailor. I would rather not have them vote if they haven't taken the time to educate themselves about the issues.

The apathy is disgusting, though.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:22 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I'm in PA, and I already went out to vote this AM (while hubby stayed home with the kids--they don't have to school today, so I took a paid personal day), and as far as I'm concerned I hope those who tend to vote Democrat "stay home"--ESPECIALLY in November! LOL :o)

Actually, I don;t even think the majority of people realize how important the November elections are, since many dont even know their state reps, or realize that Congress, not the President, is responsible for voting on and passing laws. The President just signs or vetoes them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:25 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I'm in PA and I'll be out voting in just a little while. Sam Rohrer for governor!!!

I vote whenever I get the chance, even if it's for county dog catcher. Voting is a wonderful privilege!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:33 AM on May. 18, 2010

• While I agree if you can't be bothered to be informed; then don't skew the voting process.

I don't know if it's people just not caring that bothers me so much as the people who couldn't be bothered to educate themselves on the issues or candidates; and didn't bother to vote; AND THEN turn around and seem to be the ones who complain about everything that happens the loudest....well you had a chance to make your voice heard; but you choose to watch Survivor or DWTS again instead...tough shit now
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:10 AM on May. 18, 2010

• AND THEN turn around and seem to be the ones who complain about everything that happens the loudest....well you had a chance to make your voice heard; but you choose to watch Survivor or DWTS again instead...tough shit now

***
    ^^^THIS!! And I can GUARANTEE the 2008 election would have yielded just as much apathy as elections before, if it weren't for the over promotion of the "First Black Presidential candidate (even though not true)" and "hope and change!"

What is unfortunate, is those who did and continue to emphatically support Obama, are setting their "equal rights" mission back to Colonial days. Instead of rallying behind a truly WORTHY black or minority presidential candidate, with an ACTUAL and EFFECTIVE resume, they put all of their proverbial eggs in one basket, and like Humpty Dumpty, now they're all cracked, and cannot be put back together! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:17 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Again, just because some might have views and values different from your own, does make those points of view uneducated or invalid. All voices should be heard, not just those that pander to 1 side or the other. Democratic Republic.....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on May. 18, 2010

***
    No it doesn't make your views invalid. What DOES make them invalid, is when one REFUSES to look beyond their tunnel vision, what they have convinced themselves is true, and not CONSIDER an opposing view--especially when there is unbiased (or traditionally liberal) documentation to support the opposing view. And to not be called "racist or Anti-American" because one has an opposing view.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:43 AM on May. 18, 2010