If your child was 7 and your brother and Aunt asked him to go to the beach without you, would you let him/ her go?

I just feel he is young to go without me or dad for a whole week even if it is family and he would have other kids around. What do you think?

Nakor21

Asked by Nakor21 at 9:30 AM on May. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yea I would let him go. My kids would spend a week with their grandparents at that age, they had a blast. I went nuts missing them. But they had sooo much fun
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:32 AM on May. 18, 2010

• It depends on how responsible the adults are, but then again, I didn't let mine go for a week with their Aunts until they were like 12. I think.7 IS kinda young, but it depends on the maturity level of the child, too, and how they would feel about being away from home for that long.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 9:35 AM on May. 18, 2010

• i would. just talk to your son. the do's and donts, the rules what would u do if this happends or that... also talk to the relitives and let them know what u xpect. i do understand how u feel when my dd was 7 she was invited to go to the beach for 3 days.. i talked to her and everyone else involved but know she was haveing fun made me happy. i couldnt bring her to the beach for a few days strech, i can only do one day. and she was to call me at night ( before dinner ) to tell me how her day went and i would of corse remind her of the rules to make sure she hears me lol. she had so much fun and still years later talks about how it was great. and i know when i bring kids to the beach i make the kids listen first before they play...i want everyone safe so heres the rules.. and if this or that happends heres what u do. but never had trouble or worries. if u dont trust hes ready or the relitives arent responsable u can always wait
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I would let my child go if I felt the adult was responsible. My mom has taken my dd on family trips but she is used to being around her so it wasn't a huge deal but I still missed her like crazy all week.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:41 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't. I don't think 7 is old enough to be away from home that long. Then there is the maturity and responsibility level of the people asking. In our case, that is not very high. We were asked not too long ago to let our son stay overnight with his aunt and her boyfriend. We felt it was inappropriate on more than one level and said no. There are many things to take into account and if you are uncomfortable at all with it, say no.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:42 AM on May. 18, 2010

• no..my brother is only 19. If he was older and had children of his own i would consider it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:42 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I really does depend on how Responsible and Experienced with children the family members are. I would not let my Sisters take my 3 1/2 year old even for the day because they have no children of their own and are just not used to the constant attention (attentiveness) that children require. You are the Mom so you would know best.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I would let my child go at age 7 as long as the family member asking to take them I trusted and knew was responsible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 18, 2010

• yes I would. But I trust my family and my in laws.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:38 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I would, but I trust my brother. My brother is a great parent to his own kids so I know that he would treat mine well.

Do you trust your Aunt and brother? Will they take good care of your child? Will they make sure that he has a fun, and safe trip? Will this trip make life long happy memories for your child? Does your child feel safe with them? Would he want to go on a trip with them?  If you say yes to those Q's, then I think you should let him go.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:49 AM on May. 18, 2010