Can I keep the house? Please no bashing.

My dh and I might be getting a divorce. We have not been married long and have no kids together. The only thing we own together is the house. That is all I really want if we split. How does that work? And will I have to make the entire house payment? Through the divorce will he have to give me money to afford the house payment or not? Just asking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Never been divorced so I don't know. Get a lawyer and discuss it with him/her.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:54 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Are you serious?? You think that you're owed the house you bought together and he should contribute to the mortgage?? AND you haven't been married long? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....good luck with that.

No, you'll probably have to sell the house and the court will determine how the proceeds will be divided. For ex. if you worked PT making $15k/yr and he worked FT making $60k/yr you didn't both contribute the same to the house so it wouldn't be an even split.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 18, 2010

• I make more money....He contributes very little. He stole and lied from me. That is why I am asking. I make $70,000 a year. He barely makes anything. That is why I think I deserve the house. Why are people so rude on here?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Most states no longer have alimony (where the husband has to pay the wife). All states have child support, but you do not have children together. If your state doesn't have alimony, then after you divide up your current assets, that's that. That will be all you get.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:58 AM on May. 18, 2010

• His stealing and lying doesn't entitle you to a house you purchased together. Sorry. Joint property = sell it and split the proceeds or one buys the other person out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 18, 2010

• Most states are 50/50 states, so in that case, you both would be forced to sell the house and split either the profit or the loss. OR like Anon :00 stated, you will have to buy him out of his half of the home if you choose to keep it. Then, it will be your free and clear. If you live in a state that is NOT a 50/50 state, you should probably invest in a lawyer for the divorce.... Since you make so much more money than he does, he may be eligible for alimony by claiming that he was dependent on you for financial support.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:20 AM on May. 18, 2010

• You might be better off getting the marriage annulled rather than risking community property. You need a lawyer or he is going to lie and steal from you again!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 18, 2010

• The marriage is probably too short a term. And since you make more money, you might find yourself having to support him. But spousal support is usually based on term of the marriage and ability to support oneself.

If you cannot buy out his share of the house, plan to sell it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 AM on May. 18, 2010

• i think it would better to sell the house so his name won't be on anything and just use the profit you get for new house. thats what my aunt did. she didn't want her hubby to have anything to do with her anymore so she sold everything that had both their name and they spilt the profits in half.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 12:27 PM on May. 18, 2010

• If you have not been married long he doesn't have to give you anything and yes you'd have to pay the entire payment yourself. There is no child support to help if you have no children together and no spousal support if you have not been married long. He could ask the court to compel you to sell it but if there is no equity in it what would be the point except getting out from under the debt? Check with your lawyer to find out your state laws but in most states if you want it then you pay for it and he walks free and clear of financial obligation

Answer by admckenzie at 12:55 PM on May. 18, 2010