Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What rights does a friend have??(please read)

To make a long story short, my best friends son is 15 and his WILD girlfriend is 14. This girlfriend is pregnant and is very wild. She sleeps with anyone she wants to basically. She has noone to accuse as the father except the boyfriend she is with now. The boyfriend doubts he is the father but is being accused as of.

The girls father has stepped up and is trying to push any charge that he can possibly on my friends son. Since the son is ONLY 15 what rights does his mom have? She is at a loss and since the girl and her father are NOT disclosing ANY proof of any kind she is stumped.

Is there anything a lawyer can do? Can her son be forced to attend baby classes even tho he doubts he is the father? If the courts can push classes NOW when the girl is only 6 weeks prego, what exactly can the sons mom do now to ensure the safety of the babyt and so forth?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • What charges? For crying out loud he is 15. The only way to prove he is the dad is through DNA. They should ask for it soon as the baby is born, then go from there.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 18, 2010

  • they can ask for a perternity (sp?) test. If he is the father then he should take responsibility but if he doesn't then I guess he can sign his rights away. If he isn't the father then he will have no ties to her whatsoever.

    Answer by lovemybaby283 at 11:10 AM on May. 18, 2010

  • With both being minors there are no "charges" that can be filed. (my dd and her bf were minors and I tried to press charges) No he can't be forced to do anything until it's proven that he is the bio father. That won't be done until the baby is born.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:12 AM on May. 18, 2010

  • I don't know what she can do legally so your friend needs to contact a lawyer that is the best advice I can give. As far as a paternity test I think she just has to wait until the baby is born and get a court order for one, especially if they are going to try to pursue your son for child support.

    Answer by Tawanda74 at 11:12 AM on May. 18, 2010

  • I do not think anyone can make him go to classes. Having said that if they bring him to court she will be further along in her pregnancy and she may have had a change of heart since she may not know who that father is. Now having said that I would advise your friend to contact a lawyer and pursue the "father" of this girl. I used quotations because any real father would not let his DD act that way IMO! Anyway she can have it in writing that once the baby is born you want a DNA test and her son does not want to bond with her or the baby until he knows(that is of course if that is what he wants) If I am correct a lawyer can state that since he is unsure weather he is the father and since he is a minor his mother can choose if she wants him attending anything because if the child is not his it can be emotionally damaging. Good Luck and let me know please!:)


    Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:16 AM on May. 18, 2010

  • Today my friend and her son had court. The court ordered him to attend two classes about how to care for babies and so forth. I just dont see how anyone can make him do anything since DNA has not been done. Its a shame

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 18, 2010

  • If I was the mother I would just make him do it and then after the baby is born just get a DNA test.. If the baby isnt his he can just step out of the light and if they make him paid for anything for the child ( when they find out the baby isnt his) make the girl and her father pay him back in full.. But if the baby is his try to get 50/50 custody of the baby.. But being a mother my self I would want my son to step up just in case this child is his.. If he slept with her there is a good chance the baby is his, so there for he needs to step up..

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on May. 18, 2010

  • Have him do the classes and then when the baby is born get a DNA test and have him file for sole custody. He needs a job to buy the baby things he/she needs. If he is the father he has more rights to the baby then her parents do and if she is wild he needs to get custody before they try to. They won't make him pay for anything because they have to prove he is the child's father.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 12:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

  • I would demand a paternity test the second that baby comes out. However if it's the "son's" child than his family needs to step up and make sure the son is financially and emotionally taking his responsibilities as a father. No matter what happens to them in the future he'll still be the bio dad. If he's not then her family needs to step back. I think if there is even a slight chance he's the father parenting classes would be wonderful and others are right shows his commitment to the situation. Talk with a family lawyer disclose all info and have him know his rights through out the pregnancy and after. He needs to be educated.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 1:07 PM on May. 18, 2010

  • Your friends son doesn't have to do shit until that child is born and a paternity test fingers him as the father. No one can "force" him to go to parenting classes.

    Answer by salexander at 2:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
am i the only one? i hope not.

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
baby dreft