trying to eliminate night time bottle.

My son is 16 months and he still has a bottle before bed and in the middle of the night. I am well aware that he is waaayyy to old for that however he was under weight and his dr told me if he was drinking an 8 oz bottle in the night that it wasn't just for comfort. My son sleeps terrible and i am soo over waking up in the night with him. So i am gonna stop giving him the night bottle. I am gonna keep giving him the before bed one to try to keep his weight where it should be. My question is should i ween him off or just stop giving it to him. When he wakes up crying its really hard to not give in.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 11:15 AM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would slowly start reducing the size of the bottle- like give him 6 ounces this week, and then next week when he wakes at night give him 4 and so on. That way it isn't just cold turkey. Then if he keeps waking you have to decide if you want to give him some water instead. I like doing the water because I don't really worry about just giving my DD water in her crib- it won't hurt her teeth so sometimes if she wakes at night I give her a cup and just leave it with her and then she can drink if she is thirsty. And definitely keep giving the bottle before bed. I think if your baby isn't getting the bottle it might not be worth it to him to wake up anymore, but if he keeps doing it you just have to decide if you want to let him cry it out a little, or just go in and try to comfort him and get him back to sleep and hopefully he figures out there is no bottle so no point in waking up. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:00 PM on May. 18, 2010

• If he's having weight issues I wouldn't quit the night bottle. You may be sick of waking up at night, but it's going to have to be done. My son woke up at least once a night til he was 2.5 years old. He needs the comfort, and he obviously needs the calories. I will say though, if you really want him sleeping through the night, give him a good snack with that bottle - some turkey on a slice of whole-wheat bread, or a low-sugar oatmeal raisin cookie, something decently healthy that he'll eat.
    Anonymous