Is my daughter ready for pre-school?

What are the requirements and how much does it usually cost? Is it just as much as day care or less?

BTW She's three years old, FINALLY out of diapers, she can talk but she has trouble with some sentences.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 11:16 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• here in NC child needs be 4 by aug 31 and its free for more at 4 program
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:18 AM on May. 18, 2010

• My college offers preschool but it costs 500 per quarter...which is cheaper than day care btw. I might consider it depending on my schedule.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:22 AM on May. 18, 2010

• yeah that wud be gud for her my child was auto accepted bc he goes to speech therpy
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:23 AM on May. 18, 2010

• usually once they are 3 and potty trained you can look and find a preschool. prices vary. Some may offer free preschool based on income. We paid $205 a mos for my son to go 3 days 3 hours each day. Around here thats on the cheap end! The key is to search just for a preschool program versus childcare learning center. They tend to be more and foucs on preschool as well as caring for you child like if you work but if you do not work just a preschool is a better option.If you think she may have a speech problem it would be free through your public schools so you could have her tested.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like her speech might be a little behind so getting her evaluated by the school district wouldn't be a bad idea. I know my district has an integrated school which is free for kids who qualify for extra services. Another option is looking to see if your local high school has a preschool. My son goes to a program like that. It's a 3 hour day, the 2 day class (3 years old) costs $175 a month and the 3 day class (4 years old) is $195 a month. He was in a class of 10 last year, 16 this year, with two full time teachers and about 5-6 high school students at any given time.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:10 AM on May. 19, 2010

• I agree with RhondaVeggie. I'd start by calling your school district's child study team and request and evaluation for possible speech delay. Should she qualify, she'll be eligible for free preschool. If she doesn't, look for other preschools in your area. Costs vary a lot by area, type of school, etc. Some require potty training, others don't (mine didn't). Schools that are just preschools are cheaper than schools that are also daycare centers. My son has developmental delays and is now in the town's integrated preschool (has kids both with and without delays). it's a wonderful program! If you look at other schools, make sure they're teachers are certified (not all private preschool teachers are) and ask to see their ciriculum. That way you can see what they'll cover. You might also ask the child study team which schools they belive bet prepare for kindergarten.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:35 AM on May. 19, 2010

• My son started preschool when he was 3. It has helped him so much. I say just try it and see how it goes it will be really good for her. Where in live here in MO the preschool starts at age 3 and they have to be potty trained, and it cost $60 a month. He only went on Tuesdays and Thursdays 9-11:30. It wasn't long but it was just the right amount of time! When school starts again he will be in the 4 year old class and he will go Monday, Wednesday and Friday and it will be $85 a month. I would say do some looking and see what kinds of places are out there! Gook Luck!!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    zaranichols

Answer by zaranichols at 10:05 PM on May. 19, 2010