How do you store your Veggies?

How do you store your veggies?
I keep mine in the bottom shelfs of the fridge in the plastic grocery bags I bring them home in..
But its frustrating since its hard to see what I have & always forget about something, or it goes bad before I get to it...
Also it seems "out of site, out of mind" so those yummy apples, pears, or plums we bought go bad because they were lost among everything else.

So share me your veggie storing tips!
PS: DO NOT store Onions or Potatoes in your fridge! :-) Not good for you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I bring everything home from the store and it all goes in to ziploc storage bags. I buy 5-6 types of lettuce plus spinach and I mix everything together as soon as I get home from the store and put pre-made salad mix in to a ziploc. I usally get 3 bags which lasts about 4 days (we eat salad with every supper and I have salad with every lunch). Mushrooms, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, broccoli and sweet peppers go in to ziplocs. Once cut onions, cucumbers and squash go in to ziplocs to keep them fresh even though they have been sliced off of. I have found that these things last 3-4 days longer that if they are just left in their original packaging. I then store everything in the produce drawer in my fridge. We line the fruit drawer with a paper towel and we just put the apples, peaches, pears, plums and oranges right in to the drawer w/no bags. Bananas go on the counter.
    Anonymous

• Onions/potatoes in fridge is bad? details if you have any. : ) I've never heard of that but keep onions in the fridge. Especially if I've used half.

As for the rest of my veggies:

****If you want them to store in Fridge then,

The vegetable compartment of the refrigerator is the best place to keep perishable vegetables, as it’s warmer and more humid than the upper shelves, where the drier air causes them to dry out. For this reason, vegetables stored on refrigerator shelves should always be wrapped in plastic bags.

****you can keep them in freezer too:-

Most vegetables stand up well to freezing, which makes it possible to consume seasonal vegetables throughout the year. When properly done, freezing preserves the color, texture, flavor, and most of the nutritional value of vegetables. For best results, follow these guidelines:
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:06 PM on May. 18, 2010

• *Blanching: Though freezing slows down the activity of the enzymes responsible for unpleasant odors and for the loss of color and nutrients in vegetables, it does not neutralize the effect of the enzymes completely. These enzymes can be neutralized only if the vegetables are blanched before being frozen. The nutritional value of a vegetable that has been properly blanched and frozen will be comparable to that of a fresh vegetable. Only vegetables with a high acid content, such as tomatoes, do not need to be blanched prior to freezing.

*Ripeness: Only freeze vegetables that are fresh and in good condition, and that reach peak ripeness soon after harvesting or purchasing. Before being frozen, unripe vegetables should be stored in the refrigerator until ripe.

*Bags: Because even frozen vegetables can dry out when exposed to dry freezer air it’s important to cover frozen vegetables in airtight containers, bags, or wrap.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:07 PM on May. 18, 2010

• How to blanch: http://www.ehow.com/how_13887_blanch-vegetables.html
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:10 PM on May. 18, 2010

• OP Here about onions/potatoes in fridge:
    I was watching Dr. Oz one day & he was saying onions in the fridge are bad, something about the nutrition & turning to sugar... also dont store onions & potatoes close together..
    Anonymous

• I only buy enough fresh produce for three or four days.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 PM on May. 18, 2010