My almost 1 yr. old is having seizures

And weve been telling her doc. he wasnt too worried untill he saw her have a grand mal now he gave us a refferal go see a pedatric nuroligist. I was just wondering what to expect them to do... ANY ADVICE WILL HELP!!

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 12:12 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hopefully they will run some tests to determine the cause of the seizures as well as intensity, such as EEG, MRI/CAT. they will likely give a neurological evaluation, which should include testing of age-appropriate neurological responses. please understand that you are the best advocate for your child - if you do not feel you are getting the attention and care your child needs, demand it. i learned that lesson a little late. how long have the seizures been happening? my experience in this area, unfortunately, has to do with my two-month old being nearly killed as a shaken baby - i didn't know the truth about that until about 9 months later - i just knew she was having seizures and that i was treated like a criminal and no one answered my questions until much later. the ped neuro was a jackass (he referred to my daughter as "it"). if there is another seizure you may want to consider the ER. i had a boyfriend with epilepsy.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:17 PM on May. 18, 2010

• when my son was in the nicu the room was very open and the baby next to him was healthy except that he had one seisure. not grand mal. just a regular one... the family of that child was really freaked out because they knew a girl about 10 yrs old in their church who had one seisure as a baby and was developmentally disabled from it. htey wanted to know what effect the seisure would have on their baby. the nicu doc said there is no way to predict the effect of them. it is amazing to me that your doc let it go after you said that your child has seisures because things CAUSE that.. high blood pressure (in a baby that is from kidney issues usually) etc. the doc should have looked for the cause. it almost sounds like they didnt really believe you. i dont know what to tell you to expect from the specialist. best of luck to you and your little one!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:18 PM on May. 18, 2010

• grand mal seizures that are a result of epilepsy look scarier than they are. my daughter was initially tested for meningitis. that and the brain bleed were very dangerous things that needed immediate attention. depending on the cause of the seizures there are things that can happen that can harm your child from it, but that is not necessarily the case - better safe than sorry in my opinion. please feel free to pm me if you want to.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:19 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My daughter has had three seizures and she is 13 months. After her second they kept her in the hospital for 4 days. They ran every blood test under the sun. They also did a full EEG, MRI, and CAT scan. They then put her on meds to prevent them.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:33 PM on May. 18, 2010