Would that be a fair price for a home teacher?

We want our children to be homeschooled. We are building our house...making a classroom ( with desks and chalkboard, everything lol) ......anyways I know that I am not in a place to teach my children what they need to learn in school ( which might be obvious from my grammar lol) ... So when our home is done and starting in the fall, we want our 5 year old daughter to start being taught ...we are going to hire an in-home teacher ...who will teach her, and then in 2-3 years to start teaching my son as well..... and also a big possibilty that my best friends 2 children will also be taught ( which right now they are 3 and 1..so it will be a few years.....but there is also a chance that she will hire her own teacher) .

Anyways, we do not live in a fairly expensive place ( the common house is in the low 100,000s) ... and a "good job" is considered to be payed around $12-$14 ...
*continued*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The hours would be from 10am - 2pm ...with a half hour break in there.... I will do the field trips and of course i will buy all the supplies and things for projects or experiments, etc.

do you think $2000/month is fine, considering the hours and that it is only 1 child ( for each additional child that adds on, i will add another $1000 ... or should I raise it -- and then what should I raise it to
    Anonymous

• i teach k-3 reading. i make about 22 per hour. i dont think you are going to get anyone certified to come into your house to teach for less than 20 per hour - that is the going rate for tutors too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:24 PM on May. 18, 2010

• well 25 per hour is more than i make teaching at a public school! can i work for you?? jk (that is a great rate - you should be able to find a quality person to do that - start looking at the local colleges that have early childhood education classes. )
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:27 PM on May. 18, 2010

• What state are you in? Teacher salary varies greatly from state to state. When I taught in CA, I made $69,000 my last year in public school as a certified teacher, with a Master's degree. For the private school (a few years before), I made $19,000 because you didn't have to have certification. I only taught there one year, do the math, ha ha. There are a lot of variables to consider, but basically, it will come down to what the teacher will accept.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:41 PM on May. 18, 2010