If I hire someone....

to work in my home ...can I ask them to give me their SS# , fingerprint, birth certificate, etc...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That is a bit much. What are you hiring for? Get their first & last name, maybe their address & look them up on facebook if you are worried about who you are hiring.

I would think you were out to steel my identity if you asked me all that stuff before hiring me for a job in your house. It also depends on the work they are doing. If you have an office & need a book keeper, it might be OK. But, if you are hiring someone to clean, or a baby sitter, that is a bit much. They are not obligated to give you such personal info.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:33 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't just ask I would require it, I would also do a thorough background check and drug screening.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:33 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i don't see why you would need a birth cerifcate. why don't just ask what employers usally ask for and do a backgriund check?
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 12:33 PM on May. 18, 2010

• background check and the drug screen of course and a credit check too
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 12:34 PM on May. 18, 2010

• wenono.. there is nothing wrong with requiring that info for someone who is going to work in your home or around your children. I would not allow anyone in my home without doing some sort of background check on them. I am not going to open my door and let convicted felons or sex offenders into my house.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:39 PM on May. 18, 2010

• well I would want all kinds of ID ... to make sure they are who the say - same with the fingerprints..and of course I would do a background scan and everything ...I want to be perfectly safe in who I hire --- I am the one who posted a ? about hiring an in-home teacher... but I would also like to hire other "home-help"
    Anonymous

• Wenona - obviously you are freaking out about it more than I am ...because that was not my in tention at all , honestly where we live I doubt there are an illegals.............its a safety thing...and I am not even hiring someone to clean my house.........so your wrong on all kinds of levels...
    Anonymous

• You have to have fingerprints and SS# to do a thorough background check through the sheriffs deparmtent which is what I would require. The birth certificate is a little unnecessary.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:44 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Actually I have dealt with someone having a fake SS# ...when we were going to use them is why I want a birth certificate also... these people are going to be around my kids, I want to make sure they are who they say they are...

and honestly if that was the case.... if I wanted to make sure they were not illegal....then that is totally up to me... I can hire or not hire whoever I want -- if I dont like the way they have their hair, I can not hire them for that..............you are not being a help whatsoever...not sure why you even felt the need to "answer"
    Anonymous

• If she or anyone else doesn't want to hire someone that is illegal that is there RIGHT. Since it is illegal to hire illegals. My father has had this issue with his company several times. They will hire someone who has a fake id and SS# and then have been fined for hiring illegals.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:48 PM on May. 18, 2010