How does social services feel about cigarette smoking in the home?

Is this alone enough reason for conern of a parent who is having a social service visit scheduled for them? Long story, but when the worker has time...she will schedule a home visit she says. Due to the situation an emergent visit is not indicated, rather a scheduled one. There is a smoker that lives in my home and smokes inside the home - two teens living at home. Is this a concern?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know someone right now that has had a couple of home visits recently. He is trying to get full custody of his son (his ex is in jail and he has had the boy for 8 months) anyway, he airs out the house and hides the ashtrays when they come just for good measure. He leaves an ash tray on the outside porch for smokers on DFACS days.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:45 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I think you should be concerned about the teens health but I dont think a social worker would have any say about it. Its not illegal to smoke around your kids as far as I know.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:36 PM on May. 18, 2010

• no. smoking in your home is not illegal. it is not considered child abuse.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:37 PM on May. 18, 2010

• No she MAY act like a bitch about it (dirty looks, snide comments), but they can do anything about.
    It'll be okay.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:41 PM on May. 18, 2010

• If it's a health thing for either one it could be a problem. Do either one have asthma?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

• What is with all these questions??? I don't know anyone who is "being investigated". The more important question would be: "HOW does ANYONE feel about Moms who smoke pot? ' Too many Moms here at CM think smoking pot is harmless. It is disgusting. Studies show that any toxic substance that gets into the Mom's bloodstream and reaches the baby through the placenta could be causing developmental issues and physical abnormaities. ANd its worse after the birth. An entire family can be harmed by illegal drugs and regular cigarettes and booze. The harm will be physical and emotional as a result of drunk or high parents.Lets clean up our acts,Moms.Then nobody will have to risk being reported and being investigated. Ugh.
    Anonymous

• Um....anon :51. I said it was a long story. I am not being investigated. I am a part of an investigation...there is a difference. My daughter was raped. With disclosure to a therapist there is mandatory reporting to social services and the police department. An interview at social services and in the home is a matter or course into the investigation of her rape, as she is a minor. I have no idea why you have to go on a rant for every question you see regarding social services. You should know that bad things happen to good people, bad things that they do not deserve, including my daughter's rape. I am so happy for you that your life is so perfect as to have never needed child protective services in any way, shape, or form, but you should know that all people that do need their services are not bad people, nor have they done anything wrong to their children.... -from OP.

No, neither child has asthma.
    Anonymous

• Letting a person smoke in a home with children any age is a parenting FAIL!!!
    Anonymous

• It's bad parenting but it shouldn't have any bearing on your case in this situation. I imagine they just need to make sure that she has an emotionally healthy home environment with the support she needs to get through this.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:18 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Smoking is an awful strong monkey on anyone's back and I'm guessing you don't want to saddle your kids with that same addiction. Have the smoker go outside or in a bathroom with an exhaust fan for starters. That doesn't solve the example problem though. I know it's hard, but you need to put their health and future ahead of any addictions someone in the home may have. My mother died from ciggarette induced emphysema and and it's no fun to watch someone struggling to breathe, spitting up blood and smell like rotting flesh. The knowledge is out there, the help is out there.... why on earth does anyone still smoke?
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 5:23 PM on May. 18, 2010