Breastfeeding: 2 questions

My baby is 4mths and started screamin/crying while nursing. She wont take a bottle either. What could be bringing this on? and how often should she be nursing at 4mths

blrusso

Asked by blrusso at 12:40 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 months should still be nursing on demand. The average should be about every 2 to 3 hours, but you could have a patch of cluster feeding every hour to hour and a half.

We'd really need more info as far as what's causing the screaming. That could be all sorts of things. I would advise to stop offering a bottle. You could be confusing her. Mine screams at the breast when I try to over feed her. If she screams at the breast but then seems happy if you just hold her, then you're trying to feed her when she isn't hungry. If she continues screaming then there is something else going on.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:48 PM on May. 18, 2010

• could be over feeding, if she's screaming do something else

could also be overactive letdown

i'd stop with bottles and at 4 months she should be nursing on demand
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:50 PM on May. 18, 2010

• At 4 months they should nurse on demand and usually that is about every 2-4 hours throughout the day. She could be teething, it could be overactive let down, she could not be hungry, and many more. Without a little more info it is hard to help. If she previously took bottles and now won't then it is likely overfeeding or a possible ear infection causing pain.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:16 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I think it's an ear infection. Take her to the doctor. Could also be teething.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on May. 18, 2010

• The screaming can be a number of things. For the age...my money is on teeth. Any drooling, gnawing of hands? That's your sign. The misery starts LONG before you can see or feel teeth.

As to how often...as often as baby wants. No solids should be in the mix yet, but if they are,. only AFTER nursing. On demand lasts throughout nursing,. and average number of times can be anywhere from every four hours to hourly.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:06 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My 4 month old does the screaming thing once in a while, too. I find that sometimes it's as simple as her being distracted so try turning everything off and nursing her in a quiet, calm place. She also has sore gums from starting to teethe, so occasionally that's the problem, it hurts her to nurse. A little orajel helps really well and so does giving her teething tablets. If you are engorged she could be having a hard tome latching and getting frustrated. If it's overactive letdown, just keep re-latching her, she'll stay once the letdown slows in a couple minutes.
    Also, my DD nurses on average every 3 hours, sometimes she'll go 4, sometimes only 1. And she sleeps a solid 6 hours at night before she wakes to nurse then goes back down for about an hour then nurses again.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:13 PM on May. 18, 2010