Have you ever disliked a child?

I babysit a 7 year old boy 4 days a week. I really don't like this child. He is extremely mouthy. I've never known such an obnoxious child. Every time I ask him to do or not do something I have to give a long drawn out explanation why. For example, I have a curio cabinet with figurines. Every day I have to explain why he can't play with them, then he responds that he can do what he wants or his dad will beat me up, or he says he can play with his mom's figurines if he's careful. He goes in my fridge and eats what he wants without my permission (usually when I'm in the laundry or bathroom). He talks back and snatches things when he's angry. He cut my dog's tail with a scissors!

I just don't like him. I try not to show it though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would talk to his mother and if his behavior doesn't improve, I wouldn't babysit him anymore. I have no patience for undisciplined children.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:55 PM on May. 18, 2010

• yes, i don't like my nephew and my family knows it. are you allowed to punish him? If i didnt like a kid i wouldnt keep them.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:55 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Yes! Sounds to me like you need to stop watching him. Why should you be miserable with a kid like that.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah. I lost my best friend of 10+ years because I can't stand her kids...
    And then there was the kid I used to baby sit which thought he was king of the world and tried to stab me with a knife when I called his mom because he killed my cat... he was 7...

Yeah, there are definitely kids out there I don't like...
    Anonymous

• He sounds like a sociopath.........

I've disliked a few kids. Rude ones, ones who are disrespectful to my kids, especially my 5 1/2 y/o son.
    There's these witch girls at his dance school who sit and block the hallway. Every week for months he nicely said "excuse me. girls" since they were blocking the route to the bathroom. The the last day of class before recital I allowed him to say "Get the hell outta my way!" ..... extreme, sure, but he'd been so patient and such a gentleman all year.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:56 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Frankly, I would stop babysitting for him. And I'd tell his mom and dad exactly why. I only lasted one week one summer babysitting a brother sister pair that were like what you're describing. And when I told them I wouldn't be back, I told them it was because their children were completely undisciplined brats that wouldn't listen to me if I shocked them with a cattle prod.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah! I have known a few of those!! Used to babysit 4 siblings. THREE of the four were just like that!! The fourth was an infant that screamed his head off if I set him down. That lasted 1 week before I told the mom she had to take them somewhere else! I was SO exhausted and my kids were watching their bad behavior! It wasn't worth the money to go through all that stress, not to mention having bad influences around my kids!!

Don't feel bad!! You have to be nice (while he is there, like you said) but you don't have to love him!! **edited to add** and you DON'T have to keep him anymore. You shouldn't feel obligated to keep him if he is stressing you out!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:57 PM on May. 18, 2010

• sounds like he simply doesn't respect you. you shouldn't have to explain yourself to a child. no means no. if he can't understand that, he shouldn't be welcome in your home. obviously his parents haven't taught him how to respect adults. have a talk with them. if the behavior doesn't improve, stop watching him. if it's a money issue, i'm sure you can find another, better behaved child to care for.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:59 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My aunt has a kid, he's four now, and I have referred to him as a devil child from like day one. He is HORRRRRRRIBLE, and I can't stand being around him. I didnt invite the entire family to my DD's birthday because he's that bad.
    Anonymous

• Yes my best friends children are like little trolls. They always have unexplained rashes that she only describes as a "fungus". Each time on of them accidently touches me I go home and scrub until my skin is coming off. They are so gross.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:20 PM on May. 18, 2010