To those who were once "Christian".....

I Have heard some of you say you "were " Christian at one time. I do not feel that all who claim to be Christian truly are and it made me wonder if you "were" ever a real Christian by the Bible's definition.
Did any of you who "were" once Christian actually make Jesus the Lord of your life?
Did you have a time of repentance, and of belief in him as your personal Savior and then live in a manner which followed his teachings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP Continued....
    I want to make it clear, I want to know if you considered yourself Christian based on your personal relationship with Jesus or if you just considered yourself Christian because that's what your parents were, that's how you were raised or that was the kind of church you went to etc.....
    Anonymous

• Thankfully the depth of people's christianity isn't up for judgement or debate by some random person on the internet. I think the deeper question here is why you feel a) that you are the authority of what is truly christian and what is not, and b) why you think anyone, nevermind strangers, would need to justify their faith (or ex-faith) to you.
    Anonymous

• I did and then started studying other religions while in college and decided that none of them were completely right and started following my own beliefs and not letting some human tell me how to interpret what God was telling me.
    Anonymous

• I was raised presbyterian, and went to catholic school 7th and 8th grade. I found god in those years because I was going through a lot of bad things in my life. the praying at school and classes opened me up to the concept of god being a unconditional loving presence. but as I got older I had more interest in the nature based spiritual paths. god still has a place in my heart, just not from a christian point of view. A lot of people who went to the school with me were very hypocritical and I no longer liked the concept of fear
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:08 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I did. I was raised in the Presbyterian/Methodist churches, was baptized at 13, and came forward to be saved around 16. I lived as a Christian as best I could through high school, not swearing, taking the lord's name in vain, no premaritial sex, no drugs, etc etc etc. I read the bible and attended church and the youth group every week. I believed whole-heartedly that Jesus loved me and died for my sins.

Nothing traumatic and no offending person changed my mind. It was a long process over a number of years to begin questioning what I believed in (esp. literal translations), why I believed in it (insecurites was a big driver), and which if any religion was accurate when there are so many. Logic and science won out, and I have moved on.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:09 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i'm Christian in my own way. i love God and accept Jesus in my life but I don't believe in religion. Christianity has misinterpreted the bible and brainwashed people to believe that in order to be accepted by God you need to follow a strict series of rules. They have made it all about these rules that never actually came from God, the only rules that came from God are the laws of Jesus. They've also brainwashed people to believe that the stories of the old testament actually happened. They were mere stories written to teach life lessons and because they cannot see that they refuse to believe true facts such as the reality that evolution DID happen and is still happening. The facts are there. God created evolution, he created a world able to stabilize itself by evolving. Religion in my opinion is not about true faith. It's about rules, restrictions, and intolerance.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:09 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I was a god-serving, Jesus-loving, church-going godslave. And I remember being happy--for a long while. Almost 30 years in fact. I worked in the church with a manical dedication. I gave time and money (which we had very little of) to god. But, as in any relationship, if your partner in that relationship never shows up when you really need him, and doesn't provide for you as the person he supposedly loves, your brain kicks in. You start to wonder why YOU are the one putting in all the work and effort to maintain the relationship, while he sits on his ass doing nothing. You wonder why you are the one spouting "I love you, Jesus." when you never hear it BACK. I wouldn't put up with that in a man and I saw no reason to put up with it in a deity. I was truly saddened to have to leave the myth of my loving god behind--until I realized that I didn't really need him anymore.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:13 PM on May. 18, 2010

• OP here,

It annoys me that everything is automatically offensive which is why I post annon.  Even sincere questions make you seem like a horrible person. This is not in judgement at all. I just wonder if those who do not think Christianity worked for them have ever truly experienced it.

BTW, The defintion of Christian: One who believes in Christ and follows His teachings.

That's all I'm asking.....Did you personally believe in Christ and follow His teachings?

Anonymous

• i used to be a Christian. at one time i accepted Jesus as my savior. i did (and still do) my best to live by His teachings. i no longer claim Christianity. i changed my mind when i actually read the bible in it's entirety, cover to cover. i still love Jesus. He is an inspiration, and a living testament to true faith. but so are many other religious people from every different faith. for me, claiming one religion meant that i was accusing every other religion of being wrong. really, no religion is completely wrong. but the interpretations of any book can be wrong. i believe in an Almighty God. anything beyond that is open to individual interpretation.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 1:14 PM on May. 18, 2010

• OP here,
    Thank you witchqueen for you honest answer, I appreciate it.
    Anonymous