So whats the deal with spanking?

My good friend thinks spanking is a good way of diciplining her kid. She talks to her and when her daughter doesnt want to behave after being spoken to, she will spank her.

I was spanked when I was growing up, and I don't think its a bad thing, when its deserved but at what age is it appropriate to spank as dicipline?

What do you all think of spanking in general?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is spanked and I do not care what anyone says it is a fine way to teach your children. Listen it is either show them now or they will be bad adults. I would rather spank my kid than her become a bad adult!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:06 PM on May. 18, 2010

• LOL spin off, huh?

I think spanking is a personal choice for each parent, and it doesnt work with every child. I know a lot of parents who abuse the "right" to spank, they do it out of anger, and do it way too often. I know others who tip toe around it, think that it is "abuse" and a lot of them have the kids that are the ones who DO need spanked (not all).
    Anonymous

• I spank my kids when needed they are ages 5 and almost 2.5
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:08 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i don't spank. I'll do time outs, but no physical discipline. That isnt the way i was raised
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:09 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i think its disgusting! you dont cause physical harm to your children! if you were someones boss, and they didnt listen to you, would you hit them? NO, so then why would you do it to your own innocent children?? They dont understand!!! there little minds dont get why they cant have what they want or why they have to listen to you, and hitting them is just going to make them scared of you, and teach them anger & violence. i have less respect for anyone who hits me (even if it was my parents & i was a kid) or hits there children. hitting does not solve anything. id rather treat my children with respect and then they will respect me.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:11 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I was 'whipped" and I do "whip" when needed.....

I think I am a better person from the way i was raised compared to some who wasnt.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:20 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I think that spanking only teaches two things: that your children should be afraid of you, and that conflicts are resolved through hitting.

If people out there raising their own kids have a different philosophy than I do, that's fine with me. I'm not going to lecture them or call them names. However, if someone's kid hits my kid because he's learned from his parents that a conflict is best resolved with a wallop, then we'll have a problem. As long as you're not beating your kid, and as long as your parenting philosophy doesn't collide with my family then I have no issues with letting other people make these choices for their own families.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:21 PM on May. 18, 2010

• it should be used as a last resort when time-outs, redirection, talking, etc.. are not working.. I think the child should be at least 2 yr old. I think the spanking should be on the bottom, using your hand only & over the kids clothing. i also think that the parent should try to calm down before giving the spanking, so as not to give it in anger, but discipline.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:21 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Well said maiahlynn.
    Anonymous

• I think that if you do not want to spank then you do not have to. There are many other options available. Many people pit it as spanking vs. time outs. I don't really do time out either. This doesn't mean there are not punishments or consequences. There are. If you don't want to spank or yell...then don't. Go to your local library and get some parenting books. Read those you find interesting. Take what you want from then and chuck the rest. What I observe is parents who spank are still frustrated. As equally as parents who do not. So I choose to be frustrated and not spank. I also choose to correct, redirect, and teach without the need to spank. While not a popular view point, I view spanking as hitting. For many years I was involved with assisting victims of violence. At this point I cannot tolerate violence of any kind. While I understand that people do not view spanking as being the same

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:29 PM on May. 18, 2010