For those of you who cloth diaper, what is the average cost to cloth diaper?

Just curious

I want to know how much it costs to actually get everything you need as well as how much it increases your utility bills or to have them laundered elsewhere.

I thought cloth diapering was suppose to be a cheaper alternative to diapering? I looked into it when I was pregnant with my twins and one diaper was like $20+ and I would have needed two of everything. I have a friend who is cloth diapering her second child so they can save money.

This is question is not to spark a debate on why one way is better than the other way. I'm honestly just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• babycottonbottoms.com has them for 13 dollars each, you'll only need about 15 diapers and they practically pay for themselves
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:12 PM on May. 18, 2010

• think of it this way. you spend about 30 dollars a week on disposables, thats 240 dollars for 2 months. with cloth you buy 200 dollars worth up front and use them til your baby is potty trained. that's MUCH cheaper
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:19 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Even with my twins, I don't spend $30 a week on disposables. They get changed every time they poop and if they are only wet, I change them about every 2 hours. I buy a big box every payday and it lasts us til next payday. I spend $50-$60 a month on diapers at most.

Don't you have to buy different sizes? I mean, $200 upfront for diapers isn't bad if they last for 2+ years but don't you have to buy new ones when they grow?
    Anonymous

• In the 1960's, I would buy a package of a dozen cloth diapers ....well, maybe tow or three packages,LOL, and that would be the extent of the cost aside from diaper pins and maybe plastic pants. But HOW can a cloth diaper cost so much now??? A package of a dozen cost me about $8.00.
    Anonymous

• Well, for me it cost about $250 to get everything to start cloth diapering my two sons, including the diapers, the pails (I have one for each child), pins, wetbag, etc. I make my own detergent (super easy and cheap too) so that saves money as well and I hang dry my diapers. So for me it is REALLY cheap! You don't have to buy the $20 diapers, there are much cheaper alternatives. Some people do it for the environment, like my cousin, and I think those are the ones who spend more money (I would too if I had that kind of cash, lol).
    I was using the cheap disposables so it didn't cost too much but much more than $250!! I now have enough diapers for two children that will last through at least one more, probably more than that. So it's worth it for me.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 2:00 PM on May. 18, 2010

• A budget of ~$400 will get you plenty for one child from birth to Potty training. There are onesize dipes out there (most don't fit on newborns, but will at about 10#) so you don't have to buy a new size everytime child grows. For young babies about ~24-30 dipes should be sufficient to get you through 1.5-2 days between washings. Newborns can be changed anywhere from 12-20 times in a 24hour period. Normally you change a cloth diaper about every 2 hours as well. There are hybrid systems that are covers with inserts and the covers can be wiped & reused before washing. If you google cloth diapers and check out the sites available, there is lot of cloth diaper 101 information available. Everybody like different dipes fo rdifferent reasons. That's why there are so many options. They have evolved so much from grandma's prefolds/flats and plastic pants. Those are still available, but there are many more modern easy options.
    1stTimeMom2Ella

Answer by 1stTimeMom2Ella at 2:11 PM on May. 18, 2010

• So while you can spend anywhere from $10-30/dipe to do cloth, they are reusable and depending on what you like, what works/fits your child, you will still save in the long run over using disposable dipes. Also think about all the chemicals that are in the sposie dipes (Heard about Pampers Dry Max and the current investigation into chemical burns on babies bottoms?) and the fact that they don't degrade for hundreds or years and just sit in the landfills. The average numbers I have seen is anywhere from $1500-2000 to diaper from newborn to age 3. You can spend way less than that with cloth dipes and wipes. The change in your utility bills will be minor if even noticeable. If you have a large enough stash you can get by with washing every 2-3 days with no ill effects on your dipes. www.diaperswappers.com is a great site for more advice and they have a for sale or trade section (FSOT) to try different dipes.
    1stTimeMom2Ella

Answer by 1stTimeMom2Ella at 2:16 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I spent about 150 on cloth, but I'm going the cheapest route with prefolds and I sewed my own covers.
    WyattsMomma7

Answer by WyattsMomma7 at 2:46 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Okay, I have another question. When you were planning your baby shower, did you ask for cloth diapers or did you want to buy them yourself? I guess to me, it all seems so complicated. If I were buying cloth for someone, I wouldn't even know where to start. I just thought that you bought the diapers and that was it. I didn't realize you have to buy stuff that goes in the diaper. Doesn't it make the diaper seem bulky?

Sorry to have so many questions, cloth diapering is like a foreign language to me!
    Anonymous

• Our cloth diapers and covers were second hand. Most from friends; a few from second hand shops. We probably spent $100 total, for four years worth of diapers.

No baby showers; I am not comfortable with asking people for gifts.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on May. 18, 2010