haemorraged with first child 5 years ago, what are the chances it will happen again?

what are the chances that i haemorrhage again with my second child, can it be fatal?
5 years ago i had a bad birth, they didnt explain what happened much but from researching i gather i haemorrhaged.
They told me that my womb didnt close and i continued to bleed, had a transfusion and that was that.
im wanting to try for another but me and my partner are really scared it will happed again or something worse.
can anyone help? has this happened to you before?
thanks

shelly_1986

Asked by shelly_1986 at 1:15 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Perhaps if you give us more details we can be more help. Most hemorrhages are controllable. When and how did it happen the first time?

Anonymous

• i was 18, it was a fast delivery, they never told me why it happened!. im stomach has been tender ever since, been to my gp and they said they cant tell me if anything will go wrong again till im pregnant.
    shelly_1986

Answer by shelly_1986 at 1:24 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I'd go to an OB/Gyn for a good exam, ask if they can do an ultrasound if your stomach is still tender and ask these questions there. It's so difficult to try to give you any good information without understanding what happened that first time. Maybe a new OB doc can get your old records released and be able to explain things better to you so you can make a good decision.
    Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:26 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i was half dead at the time so i couldnt tell you what went on to be honest. but thanks ill see if the can scan and see whats what.
    thank you
    shelly_1986

Answer by shelly_1986 at 1:29 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I was 18 an hemorrhagedwith my first baby. It should already be in your chart, but just in case, make sure you tell the nurses at labor and delivery. What they do is start pitocin before the baby is born and then turn it up higher after the baby is born to stop you from hemorrhaging. That's what they did when I had my younger kids and I didn't hemorhage again.

Also, my best friend from elem. school hemorrhaged with her first. She had her 2nd last summer and had to have a C-section and didn't hemorrhage again.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:39 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I hemmorhaged with my first child when I was 18 too...and had a baby 20 months later, and everything was fine...everything was normal. No hemmorhaging at all. We asked them when I was still in the hospital with my first if they thought it would happen every time I had a child...and they said it would be very rare to happen a second time...but it's always possible. It all depends. But I think you'll be fine, you shouldn't worry yourself. I sure didn't.
    Anonymous

• And yes...hemmorhaging can be fatal. You lose LOTS of blood. Every time I stood up, I'd drop clots of blood the size of softballs. I lost so much blood. Everyone was kicked out of my room while the doctor checked me, and when she was done she went to my mother in the hall and said, "You should get in there because your daughter's losing a lot of blood, and she might not make it through the night"....they ended up slowing the bleeding down, and I didn't end up needing a transfusion, and all went well, but it can be fatal, yes...
    Anonymous

• I hemmoraged 2 1/2 weeks post partum with my 1st - it is very scary and I didn't want to try for a 2nd for a long time. However, I just had my son 2 months ago and I did not hemmorage with him. My Dr. prescribed iron pills to be sure that my iron was up this time around. She said it is very uncommon for it to happen twice. I would make sure your OB knows your history, though.
    Taviesmommy

Answer by Taviesmommy at 4:15 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Hemorrhage risk is increased by medical intervention (things like inducing, c-sections, episiotomies, etc), so I'd plan on going as naturally as possible to reduce the risk of it happening again. The rate of hemorrhage is somewhere around 4% so it really is quite rare as a birth complication. I'd also try and make sure that your third stage of labor (delivery of the placenta) is as natural as possible. Trying to get the placenta out too early before the blood has gone back to baby can increase your risk of postpartum hemorrhage as well.

You should also augment your diet with good sources of iron and vitamin K towards the end of your pregnancy.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:38 PM on May. 18, 2010

• What asaffell said.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 5:50 PM on May. 18, 2010