Can you really get a free vacation?

I did this bridal "scavanger hunt" event in my home town.There were a ton of vendors and you could sign up for stuff. Well I won some free things, admission to this or that, little do-dads, and even 2 free dance lessons. I got a call the other day that I won a 3 might stay at an all inclusive resort. I have to take my "fiance" to a food and wine testing, where they'll try to sell us on the catering companies. Then after that I get to pick from several places and have 2 years to use the trip. I will have to pay airfare. It seemed to me like there will be many other couples attending as well. I know someone that got a free trip for sitting through a condo sales pitch. Does this sound like a scam?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Travel

• its to try to get you to buy into a timeshare
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:23 PM on May. 18, 2010

• oh yeah it's free alright! but when you get there, you'll spend the entire "vacation" hearing sales-pitch after sales-pitch trying to get you to buy everything from pots and pans to timeshare condos! not worth it IMO

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 1:26 PM on May. 18, 2010

• its not a scam they just harrass you and hound you. even if you dont go with intentions of buying anything they still want to sit with you and hear how much you spend per month in bills and tell you what you can afford...blah big waste of time...i fell for it once
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:32 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I know someone that did one of these and had a good time. You will have to go to seminars because they want to sell you something, but if you are ok with going and tuning it out, go for it. Just be sure to read fine print and you aren't obligated to purchase anything.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:36 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I've been on a free vacation where they tried to sell me a time share. It was a 2-3 hour presentation on Saturday of a weekend trip, but other than that sales pitch the vacation time was all mine. We didn't buy but did enjoy the weekend at the beach!

Answer by missanc at 1:26 PM on May. 19, 2010

• The thing with the voucher for somewhere to stay.....they conveniently NEVER have the dates available that you want to stay there. I got one of those 'free trip' voucher for attending a timeshare presentation. You get to choose from several locations and then you send 3 dates that you would like to go there. Everyone of my dates was denied. I finally gave up and didn't get to go on my 'free trip'.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:36 PM on May. 19, 2010