What do you think of moms who have lost a baby to SIDS?

I lost my first child to SIDS and sometimes, I feel like people judge me. For the most part, people are sympathetic but I will occasionally get that one person that has an opinion about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I feel great sorrow for the family of the baby and pray for their healing and support.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 2:05 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I think they lost their child... It's a horrid thing to live through! I can't imagine how anyone could see it as a bad thing on you if you lost your first child... If they do, it's their issue, not theirs!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:06 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I haven't got an opinion other than feeling devistatingly sad for that mother. I wasn't there, I don't know what happened. It's sad that's it. I'm sorry for your loss.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:06 PM on May. 18, 2010

• my heart goes out to them ginormously!!! And i think it can happen to any one of us!
    but at the same time, i heard a story of a lady who was fed up with her child crying and stuck her in the crib to cry it out and hopefully fall asleep and the poor baby choked up from crying so much.And the mom went to check on her 30 mins later and she was gone.... careless if you ask me, but my heart still goes out to her. Depends on the situation
    Anonymous

• I don't think you could have done anything to cause what happened.I am sorry that this terrible thing happened to you and your family.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 2:08 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Why would you ask that? I don't think anything of them except sorrow for them losing their baby. Anyone who would think differently is just plain mean.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:12 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I'm so sorry for your loss- I cant even imagine. My heart goes out to any mom who has lost a baby. I definitely don't feel any judgement about SIDS- it's tragic.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:12 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Anon 1:08 - your example is not an example of SIDS.
    Anonymous

• Here's a hug for you. I could cry about your situation. It's really sad that anyone would kick you while you are mourning. Not cool.
    LisaG777

Answer by LisaG777 at 2:19 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I was an OB nurse and a counsellor for Resolve through Sharing. I helped moms who lost babies prenatally, during the birth process and afterwards, including children with SIDS. My heart goes out to these moms tremendously, but I 100% understand what OP is saying. Sometimes people say to these moms things like "oh, did you smoke?, did you let someone else smoke in your house"? or "what did you feed him/her" "what did you have in his crib?". Those questions make me cringe. Sometimes you are put on the defensive when people hear your child died of SIDS.

My sympathy for YOUR loss.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:20 PM on May. 18, 2010