I am 21 yrs old with a 2 yr old and he took my car away?!

My dad took my car away for the DUMBEST thing. I haven't had my car taken away since I was 18 years old. I mean, okay I do take the blame for being a bit disrespectful but honestly...this is going too far. I was driving and it was raining I wasnt even close to the car in front of me and he said "your driving too close slow down" I let off the gas and said "okay but I'm used to this it's okay" and he snapped at me and said "well im not slow down!" i was like "whoa..I am. You dont have to get mad" and then he said "you have to respect me stop being a smartass" my dad is in ministry and all that crap and hes always taught us not to curse. So I flipped. If I had ever said that or anything like it he would blow up in my face. Then he said "you have to respect me and say yes sir no sir" I was like "WHAT!? I haven't had to say that in all my 21 yrs..im not about to now" Then he was like pull over ..if you dont stop...cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Do you own this car? Sounds like you need to buy your own.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you need to act like the grown up you are supposed to be and get a job and move out of daddy's house.
    Anonymous

• "ill take your car away for ONE MONTH!" So it just got more intense from there. He told me to calm down and shut up so I did. Then calmly I said "how would you feel if I told you to stop being a smartass?" And he said okay your car is gone for one month and I'm sticking to it. I was like That was a legit question! cmon! So for that...I got my damn car taken away. My dad is a control freak and this is by far the dumbest reason for taking my car away from me. I mean the "yes sir no sir" crap and calling me a "smartass"....wtf. Do you think this is way out of line or what?! and yes..I do admit I got a little outta control too. But my dad of all people should know I dont take shit from anyone. He has called me a bitch before and I went off ...this applies too.
    Anonymous

• Anon 2;10....I've been trying to look for a fulltime job. I would LOVE to move out of my parents house. I am making an effort to do so.
    Anonymous

• Im sure as long as you are under his roof you have to follow his rules. Can you talk to him later in a calm manner, apopligize for your part in the argument and ask him for your car back?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:17 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I would say that your Dad is a control freak for taking his adult daughters car away but that it is your fault for allowing him that much power over your life in the first place. It looks like you are trying but unfortunately, if its his house, his rules. The only way you are going to be treated as an adult is to act like one and stand on your own two feet.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:18 PM on May. 18, 2010

• If you absolutely need this car. You're in a bad situation that you can pull out of fairly easily. If it's his car, you're kind of out of luck have to follow his rules dumb or not dumb. I agree he seems like quite the control freak.

Work on you. Do all that you know you need to do in order to get a car of your own. Save up money on the side. ( this can be difficult with a child, but it's doable if you work hard at it.) Not relying on your dad and putting up with his fits is GREAT motivation to work hard on getting your own car.

You're an adult now, with ideas, views, and a mind all of your own. It's hard not to bump heads in cases like this where one is trying to play parent to you when you're a parent yourself. So you're allowed to disagree with him. way. He's you're father, and may feel it's still okay to boss you around. Talk with him about this, and come to a common ground on what is & isn't okay with you both. Mutual
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:20 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Skepticchick...I agree with everything you said. I just don't know how to come to a mutual agreement about any of this. It's not fair that I'm not being treated like I'm 21. He is way too controlling...has always been this way. Taking my car away when I need it is only making me want out more. He's never taken my car away for this long and he decides to do it when I"m an adult?! This is stupid.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, I know it's a bummer for you but I have to agree with your dad. It's his car and feels your driving it in an unsafe manner. He told you that you were going to fast for the road conditions and you gave him the age old teenaged response of, "Your a dumb ass and I know more than you do." His response was to treat you like the smart assed child you were acting like and then you turned around and called him a smart ass? Are you sane? How do you figure you have the right to disrespect your parent like that? I think you owe your dad an apology.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:27 PM on May. 18, 2010

• LORNAMAY....You got the story backwards lol. HE called me a smartass...for saying "Okay (i will slow down) but I always drive this way..I'm comfortable with it" ...yeah. And I have apologized to him.
    Anonymous