At what age do babies start to remember?

I notice my son is starting to remember certain songs, and certain faces... he is 3 months old. When do babies really start to remember people, events, anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read that in the book 'Baby in the Mirror' written by a guy with a PhD in Child Development that babies do not have memory recall until 3 years old! That is, they don't have the ability to formulate memories of past events.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:13 PM on May. 18, 2010

• They may not have long term memory recall until 3 years old but I wouldn't doubt at 3 months your son doesn't have short term memory. I mean, he remembers you, right?
    Anonymous

• Not true. My dd is 4 and she recalled a memory of when she got bit on the lip by grandma's pet bird. I never reminded her of that memory once!...She was one and a half...I remember being lock out of a gated house and panicing I couldn't reach the lock, and I didn't have the words to describe my fear. Mom said I was 1 and a half.
    LisaG777

Answer by LisaG777 at 2:16 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I remember a trip I took when I was 2. I don't remember the whole trip just sitting in the car and eating a king size Butterfinger while we waited for my dad.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:23 PM on May. 18, 2010

This isn't true my DD now 5 years she remembers things from 2 summers ago. Then there is this shop DH use to work at when DD was a baby and he quiet that job and got another job when she was 18 months old and she to this day when we pass that shop every single time she will say you use to work there daddy then she says why don't you work there anymore. So my DD remembers things from when she was 18 months old
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:26 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I remeber crawling through a house I lived in when I was less than 2. I could walk, but I was crawling under these saloon style doors that seperated the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. My mom didn't even remember those doors until i mentioned it lol
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:02 PM on May. 18, 2010

• "They may not have long term memory recall until 3 years old....

This isn't true my DD now 5 years she remembers things from 2 summers ago. "

5-2 = 3 years old. **grin**

Events will be remembered in the short term even at this age. But a forever memory? Takes a while. And what is a forever memory for a five year old is not so easily recalled by age ten, when the brain has absorbed so much more. The memories are still there...it's a matter of recall. The fresher an event, the better the recall.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Babies have memory, that how the can recognize mommy. It is just not like the memories we have, likely it is more impressions and feelings.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:27 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Yeah no memory recall right? Hence why babies go through seperation anxiety at different ages. My daughter goes to physical therapy and knows who her therapist is. She recognizes him right away as well as the receptionist. My daughter remembers friends of mine she hasn't seen since she was 2 and she is now 8. It varies.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 5:29 PM on May. 18, 2010