Does your kid talk to him/herself?

I've noticed my daughter who is 3 will have full blown conversations with herself. It seems a little strange, but I'm encouraging it because she's actually talking (she has a speech delay). Does your child do this? I'm not talking about her talking to voices no one else hears. She will literally say hello to herself, ask herself questions and answer them, tell herself that she likes her dress or shoes and then thank herself for the compliment. I'm talking she has full blown conversations with herself. Is this the start of having an imaginary friend, perhaps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 3 year old does stuff like that. i think it's normal. and so is having imaginary friends.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:02 PM on May. 18, 2010

• MY SONS TALKS AND ACTS LIKE SOME1 IS THERE HE HAS SPEECH DELAYS TOO. HE LIKES TOO PRETEND HE IS TALKN TO I CARLY , SAM, AND GIBBY OFF THE SHOW i CARLY HAHAHA ITS CUTE !
    Anonymous

• My 4 yr old talks to herself sometimes, mostly when she is playing alone. Im sure this is completely normal.
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 5:56 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My son talks NON-STOP, no joke. Sometimes in the car my oldest son (8) will say "Can you PLEASE just be quiet for two minutes?" My 3 year old will say "Nope" then I will say "Honey, no one is paying attention" He says "I know, I like my voice!" Actually, he's in bed right now talking to himself!
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 7:26 PM on May. 18, 2010

• thats normal thats what they do at this age. Its their imaginations and its good!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 19, 2010

• maybe shes not talking to herself maybe she has a imaginary friend my dd thats 2 1/2 does and my almost 5 yr old son talks to himself too i dont see what the big deal is there aren't other kids for them to play with and they get tried of each other
    kcook55

Answer by kcook55 at 11:32 AM on May. 19, 2010

• My four year old daughter does it all the time. She also pretends she's on stage singing to a sold out house of imaginary fans...She doesn't answer herself but she will pretend that someone is asking her for request of her made up songs...so its normal. Encourage it and it may help her feel more confidant with her speech delay...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:02 PM on May. 19, 2010