why has my 5 3/4 yr old son starting pooing his pants?

there appears to be no spcific reason for this apart from laziness, and he simply doesn't seem to care. I have made him wash them, rewards for days w without, reasoning, and have now started to trheaten lack of treats such as going to the park after school. I don't think there is a medical problem he was fine for 3 years before this.
what can I do?
fed up Mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on May. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• call his doctor?
    medical reason maybe
    rule that out first
    and maybe doc will have ideas even if not medical
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:16 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Our daughter was distended and all her nerve cells had crept away from the wall of the colon. She couldn't feel it coming out. I would at least rule it out. don't be like me and keep asking the kid, "Don't you feel it???" and not believing her when she said no. Took a regular checkup to the pediatrician to have it make sense and get us to a GI specialist.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:35 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Take him to the doc to rule out any medical reason.

Then, as much as I hate to even suggest it because I don't want to freak you out, has he been alone with someone older than he is who might have done something, well, inappropriate to him? If something happened (and I'm sure I'm totally reaching here), this could be a defense mechanism to keep it from happening again.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:16 PM on May. 19, 2010