Washing their mouth out with soap?

I've been having issues with my son (6) and his mouth lately. He's always calling his brother names, and I hear him saying terrible things to the neighbors and he's started talking back to me and dh lately. I've tried so many things to see what's going on and why he's doing this and to try to stop it but nothing has worked. Last night dh suggested using a bar of soap in his mouth as punishment. I remember having this done as a child and it's horrid. I can't imagine doing it to my children, but the more I've thought about it today I've been wondering if it might be effective.
I honestly don't think I could ever bring myself to do something like that, but I wanted other mom's opinions.

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 3:22 PM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't do that. Find out what's bothering him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on May. 18, 2010

• was it affective on you? that could be a factor.
    anytime i think of this i think of a christmas story. lol where the little boy tells his parents he is blind from them using soap in his mouth.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:24 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I did it ONCE, for lying. My son was 4 1/2 at the time, about a year ago. It only took once, and now the thought of it deters bad behavior. I wasn't thrilled to do it but he'd lied about something serious/dangerous and now he knows I mean business and that we don't keep secrets or lie in this house.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:25 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Dont do that, maybe "Ground" him or take away a his favorite toy.
    Anonymous

• I threaten dish soap to my 10 year old,lol. He immediatley closes his mouth...or runs off mumbling instead,lol.
    I've used it on him twice. Once when he told hi sdaycare teacher she was a f-in b-i-t-@$.
    I've heard of some people using hotsauce instead, I havent done that one though.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:25 PM on May. 18, 2010

• LOL! The first thing I thought of was A Christmas Story too. Lifeboy soap!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:26 PM on May. 18, 2010

• OP: U had it done as a child and it was horrid, of course it tasted awful...... but u lived. And probably learned very quickly not to do those things again. I think that's why kids were so much better behaved back then. The parents weren't afraid to get serious.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:26 PM on May. 18, 2010

• That's what I said to dh last night, that I thought of the movie and how after the boy had to have the soap the mom tried it, so dh and I both tried it last night and it was so terrible.
    Honestly I think after having it done once when I was a child I was much more careful about what I said around my parents, but I don't think it had a huge impact on me.
    I've been talking with his teacher and his school counselor to try and find out what's going on with him, but so far we've gotten nowhere.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 3:27 PM on May. 18, 2010

• a shot glass full of Apple-cider Vinegar works just as well! it has no ill side effects (Like soap can)

If you think a shot glass is to much. I have also put it into a squirt bottle and sprayed my boys in the mouth with it!
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:33 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I agree with hibbingmom! My mom was very stern. Did I doubt for one second she didn't love me, absolutely not. I sat with soap in my mouth a few times as a kid. I hated it but it did make me think twice about back talking because I didn't want to get the soap again. I say try it once to see what happens.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 3:40 PM on May. 18, 2010