• In the Spotlight:

BP oil spill has "killed us all"?

Heard this earlier. Overkill? Fear mongering? The truth? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it was overkill. The US has experienced FAR WORSE oil spills, and life on Earth didn't end. Sure SOME industries are impacted--some for long periods of time, but the end of life as we know it? No.

Take a look at these oil spills, and how they compare to the BP spill.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/feature/planet-100/worst-oil-catastrophes.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:53 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Perhaps you could include the link from who said it and the context in which it was written?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:35 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Where did you hear it from, and in what context? If it was from a fisherman in Louisiana, that might not be too far from the truth for his industry. Latest I heard this morning was that tar balls are turning up in Florida. That could mean oil on the floor of the Gulf, on oyster beds and in shrimping areas. If those areas cannot be salvaged, the economic impact could be huge. Everything is interdependent. The economic troubles of this past decade are firmly rooted in the housing bubble...when that burst it took all kinds of things down with it. We could see that as a result of troubles in the fishing industry.

I used to be in favor of offshore drilling. This whole event has made me rethink.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:38 PM on May. 18, 2010

• No link. I HEARD it from some woman at the grocery store. She was in front of me in line and talking to the cashier. She said that thanks to the oil spill, all marine life will die, and then all life on earth will follow.
    Anonymous

• No link. I HEARD it from some woman at the grocery store. She was in front of me in line and talking to the cashier.

Oh, well then of course it's true.

Anonymous

• "No link. I HEARD it from some woman at the grocery store. She was in front of me in line and talking to the cashier. She said that thanks to the oil spill, all marine life will die, and then all life on earth will follow. "

Heh heh. I have a bridge for her in Brooklyn. Nope. NOT TRUE.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on May. 18, 2010

• o-kay. I'm sure SHE really knows wth she is talking about, too. I bet she read that off the cover of the Weekly World News, or something like that, too.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:48 PM on May. 18, 2010

***
    Then that would be her OPINION...we're all entitled to them, doesn't necessarily make the person's OPINION, true! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:48 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Listen, I'm not asking if what she said was true. I'm asking for your thoughts. Do you agree? Do you think what she said was overkill? Etc.
    Anonymous

• LOL! What a drama-queen! Yep, way overkill. She's probably the type of woman who enjoys stuff like this because she can get all dramatic about it! "We're all gonna diiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!"
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:56 PM on May. 18, 2010