putting his hand over his ear

my son is 6 1/2 months and has been drooling alot which i know is a sign of teeting and the told us he should be getting teeth between 7 and 10 months but sometimes my son puts his hand over his ear it could be because his teeth are coming in or ear infection or it's nothing to really worry about.

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read that when they are teething that they may tug on or rub their ear and check. My son is doing both. His cheeks are as red as can be!

Answer by DylansMom1207 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• He could have just found his ear, or teething, but I'd get it checked. My 11mo had an ear infection at 6mo and never touched his ears or fussed so we had no idea. It went too long and his eardrum ruptured. Since then, If I think maybe he might just a little have a teeny weeny ear infection, I take him to the dr.

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• It could be all those things that you listed....

He may have found his ear and is playing with it.

It could be from teething..I had an ear ache once thought for sure I had an ear infection and it turn out to be a tooth problem. I've seen babies do the ear thing, when it's the molars that are coming in...

Or it could be an ear infection. If the only symptom is him touching/covering his ear, I would wait and see what happens. If he develops a fever or other symptoms I would take him in for a check up....

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• he may bust be wondering whats on the side of his face but id get it checked - i know when my lil bro had infections he started by scratching the inside of his ear cause it hurt so much he was trying to get the pain to stop.

Answer by vakatia at 3:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• talk to the pediatrician