Does it make me a bad mom if I gave my 3 month old son 1/2 ounce of adult cranberry juice with 5 ounces of water?

My sister in-law called me a bad mom because I did this. My son couldn't go to the bathroom and I didn't have any child juice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No your not bad, my doctor told me to do the same if I couldnt find the baby juice. Dont worry what other moms think, as long as you check with your doctor about stuff yall will be fine.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 4:42 PM on May. 18, 2010

• It doesn't make you a bad mom, but I wouldn't have done it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:42 PM on May. 18, 2010

• of course not. FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS. not the books
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:43 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I think you did okay, for the reason that you mentioned. I try very hard not to say that anyone is a bad mom. Before I read the whole explanation I wondered why you would do it, but now I get it!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:43 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I'm with the others, not a bad mom, but probably not the best choice. Babies can get water intoxication really easily because the balance of water and salt is so fragile in their systems. If you're breastfeeding then baby doesn't need anything but breastmilk. It's normal for breastfed babies not to poop a lot (sometimes just a few times a month!). If you are formula feeding then you should talk to your doctor about what they want you to do for constipation, as giving 5 ounces of water at any time to a baby who is not eating lots of solids is dangerous.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:44 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Um no. You know what you are doing. You are the mom.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:45 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Not bad, just ignorant, uneducated on nutrition, and a little bit dangerous.
    Anonymous

• Babies can die from water poisoning. That is NOT an overstatement. Do not give water again. Unless a baby is passing hard pellet poop it isn't necesarily constipation.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

• that was stupid and dangerous.
    Anonymous

• Amilee is right. The excess water is more dangerous than the juice.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:54 PM on May. 18, 2010