How to discipline a 14 month old boy?

My son just turned 14 months, we have always used firm NO with him. But now I think I need to do something else. There is no way I would hit my child, and I really don't think he understands time outs. I am lost in what to do. He is climbing the furniture and I am so afraid he is going to get hurt really bad, I keep using the firm NO and removing him from what he is doing but he will go back over and over again. He is also demolishing my mini blinds on the windows in my living room and on my back door. What can I do to make him get that he isn't supposed to do things? Any help would be appreciated.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 4:45 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put him in a time out for 1 minute. Then after the time out, take him and get on his level and explain to him WHY he was put in a time out. They know more then you think.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:46 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Oh and I forgot to add, he gets things back out of the trash can and knocks the can over, he is very well fed so I don't know why he does it but he does it at least 5-10 times everyday.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:46 PM on May. 18, 2010

• when you say no, clap your hands together and get his attention. It will startle him without harming him.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 4:56 PM on May. 18, 2010

• He's testing boundaries and limits.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:04 PM on May. 18, 2010

• well I would put the blinds up so he can't get them and as long as there's no risk of serious damage, let him fall off the couch
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 5:50 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Put up blinds they are a strangulation hazard, put up the trash it is a choking hazard, just let him climb on the furniture he will fall a few times and stop. You should not have sharp-cornered furniture... do you have wood floors? I might think about doing area rugs. You do not have to fall off a couch to fall on a wood floor and crack open your skull.

If he hits you, bites you, otherwise hurts you/animals that is a good time to discipline/remove the child by putting him down by himself and refusing to acknowledge him for a few seconds - 30 secs or so unless he tantrums, then hug til he stops. If he hurts u again, repeat. kids will do things to get attention. they learn they get put down, no eye contact for a few secs if they hurt you/others & quit it

Otherwise his other behaviors are just exploratory/boredom. Are blinds really that important to you?? Can't the trash go up on the counter/in a closet?? He is a baby..
    Anonymous

• If you balk at my reply.. ask yourself how well saying "no" repeatedly and taking him away from the things 5,000 times per day is going.. Not very well. My 14 mo rarely frustrates me.
    Anonymous

• You can reason with a 3-4 year old, not a baby that is still closer to infant than not.
    Anonymous

• He may not fully understand time outs but if you start doing them and continue he will catch on. And plus it removes him from a bad situation.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 8:00 PM on May. 18, 2010