I do not like playing with my kids - does that make me a bad mom?

I still do play with them sometimes but I try to do things to advert their attention so I can clean or do other things ...I like ot do other things with them ( taking them places, watching a movie together, going for walks) ....... but I just cant stand to actually play with toys and stuff.... I wish they had friends ( they are only 3 and 1)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• so why did you have kids then?
    Anonymous

• I don't like it either. I feel guilty about it sometimes though. I do take her to a playgroup once a week and to see my neice every Friday. SHe has tons of toys. I do read to her though.
    Anonymous

• I understand. I'm like that too. There's no reason why they can't amuse themselves together or alone for short periods of time.
    Anonymous

• I think taking them places and doing things with them is playing in their eyes. just because you aren't down on the ground rolling a car around doesnt make you a bad mom.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:59 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i'm the same way. i love my kids, i love doing things with them, but when it comes to toys, i just don't have an interest and i get bored with it very easily, so i'm always trying to figure something else out. I've never had an interest in toys, i hated playing when them even when i was a child. my kids are the same age 1 and 3, they keep themselves entertained sometimes together, sometimes they like to play by themselves.
    Anonymous

• You can do other things with like take them to the park and museums where you are playing with them but not down on the floor playing with them ( I do not do that alot) I do read to them alot and take them fun places that in my eyes is also playing and interacting with them. You are not a bad mom.

ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 5:04 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I am the same too. I have 5 and can't just sit and play all day. We do other things and they play well together. Doesn't make you a bad Mom.
    Anonymous

• i loved playing when he was a baby but now that he is 5 i do not like it. He is always trying to get me to be the bad guy and help build stuff and i'm just not into that. I do love taking him places though
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:10 PM on May. 18, 2010

• You're job is not to entertain them it's to care for them. Don't worry about it!
    Anonymous

• I get bored playing too sometimes. Mostly, because my daughter has a love/hate relationship with her toys. She undresses her doll, cries and then wants me to dress it. I redress the doll, she undresses it, cries and then wants me to dress it. She puts her backpack on and clicks the clips...cries, wants me to open them.....she clicks them in again...cries and wants me to open..................VICIOUS CYCLE!!

I really try to play with OTHER toys, because those drive me up the friggin wall. We read ALL DAY LONG, which gets boring after I have read the same book 10 times in a row...........at the same time, I LOVE that she is so into books.

So don't feel bad, we all get bored at times...it's natural. As they get older, it only gets more fun! I can't WAIT for the weather to get and STAY warm....I love playing outside, going for walks and we LOVE swimming and by next winter, she will be a little old enough to do crafts.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:22 PM on May. 18, 2010