Honey and my 10 month old

My husband has given my daughter about a package of the honey graham crackers without knowing she wasn't suppose to have honey. Should Icall her doctor or will she be alright?

cantwait071909

Asked by cantwait071909 at 5:28 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The main risk with honey is possible allergies since it's made from pollen. If she's not showing any symptoms, just keep an eye on her.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:31 PM on May. 18, 2010

• acutally botulism is the main risk for infants when it comes to honey not allergies
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:34 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Keep an eye on her. PROBABLY she will be all right since this stuff is baked.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:46 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Honey has botulism, though I suspect that in the crackers it is a minute amount and harmless.

A greater concern is wheat; it is an allergy trigger food that should not be given to babies who have not had a birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:48 PM on May. 18, 2010

• It looks like you have all kinds of opinions here :)

The reason that you don't give a child under 1 honey is the risk for botulism. Our doctors said that if it is cooked or baked into something, it is fine, but don't give them honey on a sandwich or anything that is uncooked.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:08 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My doctor also told me honey baked or cooked as in graham crackers, or honey mustard etc is fine since it is cooked and cooking kills botulism. Alot of wheat breads have honey in them too.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:12 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I would not give them to her again, just in case, but I believe the botulism risk drops when it's cooked, which I'm guessing the honey grahams are. Hell, for all I know, it could just be honey flavor and not even real honey. If you notice ANYTHING unusual, out of the ordinary, call the doctor, but, I'm pretty sure she'll be fine (in my PERSONAL opinion.)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:19 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Cooking does not kill clostridium botulinum (which is the organism that causes botulism) - it's a spore, not a bacteria. But it is usually in such small amounts, and there is such a small chance of the honey containing the clostridium that it's generally not a problem.

Answer by missanc at 7:36 PM on May. 18, 2010

• That's "raw" honey - not honey graham crackers. She'll be fine. Geez
    Anonymous

• It's fresh honey you can't give babies. It can actually can cause allergies in infants. After first year check with your DR. I gave my kids honey sweetened herb tea ( no caffiene) when they were toddlers, neither has allergies and not once been sick.Just be careful which teas you use,read the box,avoid sleepytime etc. I didn't want them drinking too much juice and filling up on it. my sons were big drinkers, so I was always looking for healthy drinks,flavored waters(juice and water) tea,etc.
    june53

Answer by june53 at 10:02 PM on May. 18, 2010