How do i get my 1yr old to drink water?/finger foods

All she wants is milk.She really likes to feed herself, so what are some good finger foods for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try flavor water. Don't let her drink to much milk because it can ruin her teeth. As far as finger foods anything you don't have to have a fork or spoon for.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:51 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I don't do milk, can't help there. Breastfed.

Finger foods.. all sorts of cut up fruit and veg (softer cubed - strawberries, oranges w/ hard white removed, mango, kiwi skinned de-whited, melon, etc. cooked cubed tofu, zuccini, squash, cawliflower, asparagus, carrots, parsnips, mashed beans sw potato, tomato etc.) Whole grain pasta swirls or spaghetti halved/cut up, little squares of pureed spinach & cheese quesedilla, home-made perogies or ravioli cut up, cut up cooked sandwich squares like grilled (real colbyjack) cheese, lean hamburgher crumble w/garlic, minced cook chicken, graham cracker goldfish (as a treat).

Nothing stringy, nothing too hard. If it melts in water (toast) or you can squish it with your fingers easily (fruit, cooked veg, pasta) it is safe. Nothing like untoasted bread or little globes.. no whole grapes (cut them up!) no raisins, no thick PB, no hotdogs, no nuts, no honey, no candy, no raw apple etc.
    Anonymous

• You only give the amount of milk she should have in a day (15-20 oz is not much... that's like 2 full sippies a day). We just switched our daughter at 12 months to one sippy of milk first thing in the morning, and one first thing after her nap. If she's thirsty outside of those times (or whatever times you set), water is offered. Nothing else (do NOT make the mistake of offering juice, trying to get her off so much milk. And no flavored water either!). She'll get thirsty, she'll adjust to drinking it. One of my daughters is 20 months old and only drinks water, my other is 3 and drinks 16-20 oz of milk a day and water the rest of the time... It's not that hard.

To the above list I'd add avocado -- great finger food if you get it just the right ripeness, and one of those can't-go-wrong super healthy foods. Canned and refried beans. And summer's coming, so watermelon, strawberries, blueberries (cut in half), peaches...
    Anonymous

• I gave my son juice/water mixture (about half and half at first) and he LOVED gerber graduate puffs and yogurt bites. They both kinds scared me at first because I thought he was going to choke but they melt pretty quickly and i even think the yogurt ones are great :)
    Anonymous

• cheese toast on whole wheat bread, Grated cheeses, Grated chicken, Cooked broccoli cauliflower,my son loves canned greenbeans there really easy to chew, Strawberrys or blueberrys with pancakes and syrup very messy though, Spagehetti with whole wheat noodles, bananans, Kiwi's, Canned tuna with avacodo, Mashed Navy or any kind of beans with ricotta cheese.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on May. 19, 2010

• well first of all juice can be offered at that age just not alot maybe a half or a whole sippy a day get your facts right. you can mix it like the above person said. Start with like half and half, then slowly add more water and more water until they are in a few weeks down to straight water thats what I did and now my son loves his water.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 12:47 AM on May. 21, 2010