Who (besides me) is still dressing their pre-schooler?

My son can take off his socks & shoes, can take off his shirt (if I start), can finish putting on his shirt (if I start). I know I should make him learn, but it is so much easier to just do it.

What age did they start dressing themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sometimes my daughter has difficulties with some clothing but she has been dressing herself since she was 2 1/2. She is 3 1/2. She is a very independent little girl though. She wants to do it herself. I would suggest starting to let him do it himself and only help if he absolutely can't do it. Encourage him to do it himself.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 5:45 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I do when I'm in a hurry or when he gets out of the bath, since he's cold... Outside that I just lay out what he should wear. : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:59 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I help him, but he can do most of it himself. He will end up with something backwards or socks on upside down, but it's all part of the learning process. And he has trouble with the button on some of his pants. He can also completely undress himself.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:05 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My 4 ear old does what your child does. I don't push it. He is my last baby. I don't mind dressing him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:19 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I still dress mine. I'm getting annoyed from it. she can get dressed if she really wants to go somewhere but when I ask her to get dressed for the day or for school she says she cant do it, and its too hard. But I guess I should enjoy it while they're small.
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 6:34 PM on May. 18, 2010

• OP Here-Mine is barely 3 & doesn't go to school. We are pretty laid-back in our schedule, (SAHM) so that there's not any hurry usually. Getting dressed is something we do sometime between getting up and bath-time, ROFL! Thank you for your responses!
    Anonymous

• At 3 my girls started dressing themselves. I just lay their clothes out for them. They pick out their undies though.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 8:29 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Ha ha! I still help my SS get dressed a lot. He is 6. He can do it himself, but sometimes in the mornings its just easier to help because he is so tired. And SD is 9 and she likes it when i help her after she gets out of the shower because everything sticks to her...I think its just a way that she can feel close to me since she is the oldest and I dont really baby her except in this area. Obviously if there is something pressing with my DD 22 months or something else going on (cooking dinner, etc) she gets herself dressed.

I as of yet have not made a big deal out of getting dressed. Both Sks can and do dress themselves a lot, but I am not afraid of helping speed the process up or take the time with them sometimes. DD is still little. Although she helps me dress her - unless she is being a pain. ha ha! She likes trying to put on her socks and shoes though....which is hilarious!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:48 PM on May. 18, 2010

• YAY aly- I'm glad I'm not alone ;) I still dress my six year old- it is faster
    Anonymous

• They pick out their undies though.-- DaphneMae

Undies....can't wait to get there...but that's a whole 'nuther post...LOL

(OP)
    Anonymous