Research for a novel: Adoption

This is purely research for a novel I'm writing and I'm not sure how to research this on line, so I'm asking here.
The main character of my book gains custody of his niece and nephew after his sister and BIL are killed in a car wreck via their will. Babies were taken by c-section before mom died. With the will in place for him to take custody, what paperwork would he have to fill out and what court procedures would he have to go through? Are they automatically his legally, or would he have to adopt them? What about the birth cert? His name or the bio-parents?
Any help would be greatly welcomed!! Thanks in advance!!

debra_benge

Asked by debra_benge at 5:53 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No he doesn't have to adopt. He would be made legal guardian by the court. BC would not change

Answer by admckenzie at 6:00 PM on May. 18, 2010

• There are papers he would have to sign assigning him guardianship, all that would take is a visit to the lawyer's office I believe. There is a hearing for adoptions. For both there would be home inspections and random check ins by the children youth and families department to ensure that the children were well cared for and adjusting well.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:03 PM on May. 18, 2010