How to get a one year old to stay out of the kitchen

Well moms I have a problem with my son. At what age do they understand no? I try to keep him out of the kitchen and he does not lol. I know he can not understand what I am saying , but is there are way besides getting a gate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let me know when you find out! LOL. My son just turned two and is always getting in the regrigerator and getting those single slices of cheese. We put him in time out, but it's not a good enough deterrant.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:59 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I know where you are coming from, my 14 month old can open the cabinets(we installed locks on those) open the fridge(installed a lock on there) can open the oven(also has a lock now) And is now starting to dig in and knock over the trash can, I can't find a lock made for it, I have tried many multi-purpose locks with no success. I've been through 3 different types hoping he would stay out of it, but if he cant get the lid off to get things out, he will knock it over until he gets the things out.
    For us No does no good, I continue to say it everytime he does something he shouldn't but, I have tried putting him in time out for one minute. I honestly don't think he really understands because he will not willingly sit there, and I have to hold him in time out and the second the timer goes off and i get down to his level and explain what went wrong, and hug and kiss him he will run straight back to whatever he went to time cont...
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:04 PM on May. 18, 2010

• no i have to put up a gate. food is just to tempting to my one year old and he will break rules to get to it
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:05 PM on May. 18, 2010

• cont...
    out for in the first place. I asked a similar question on here earlier about discipline in children so young, and one mom suggested clapping your hands when you say No to startle them without harming them. I think I am going to try it. Nothing could be worse than what we are doing right now...

Sorry I wrote so much. I hope you figure it out. But the cabinet and fridge locks really are a life saver...
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:06 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I always let my kids in the kitchen. I kept all the cleaners up high
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:17 PM on May. 18, 2010

• OMG I know how you all feel! my daughters 16 months, and completely RAIDS my kitchen! she doesn't listen. she knows what "NO" is. But she just smiles and does it anyways..*sigh*
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 6:37 PM on May. 18, 2010

• No, the only way to keep a child out of a room entirely is a room or a gate. Especially if you're spending time in there. Why do you want him out of there? It should be easy enough to baby proof. If you're cooking or doing dishes, just pull his high chair in and give him a wooden spoon or some other things to hang out with.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:14 PM on May. 18, 2010

• baby proof, and if your in there let him help. my husband just switched to second shift, so now i am making our dinner with nobody to occupy my 18 month old son. he has his own pots and pans to play with, and i also let him "stir" for a second here and there and it makes him soooo happy to help. as far as keeping him out while i'm not in there, i just occupy him in the other rooms really. he only goes in there on his own when he wants his sippy out of the fridge.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:24 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I had a cabinet with pots, containers and wooden spoons for my daughter. I put a small rug in front of it. This was her place to "cook" when I was in the kitchen.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:40 PM on May. 18, 2010

• its very difficult.. my dd loves the kitchen. i close the doors and i rather her be in there with me then in another part of the house where i can't keep an eye on her. if i am cooking i put her in the high chair. other then that she plays right next to me. she is good about it. she loves boxes and such. she is good about it. no does not work. i am having a hard time she is into everything and i mean everything. just have to remove her from the loation. her doctor told me about time out. but not in a chair. in her pack and play with no toys. i have yet to doi t. she is too little i feel for that. i think its ok. i do stand up and she moves away from whatever she is doing. i like the clapping idea
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:53 PM on May. 18, 2010