I know this is not a question. I am pleading with you to please watch your babies in water!

Every week there is another story here in the Phoenix metro about a baby or toddler drowning.
It is absolutely heartbreaking. Last week it was a 6 month old in a bathtub left there by his mother so she could be on the computer. This week it is a three yr old not being watched in a pool. And today a 2 year old left alone in the bathtub.
It is not worth it! Don't leave them alone in water.
I am begging anyone who thinks it is okay to leave them, even for a few minutes, please reconsider. The pain is not worth leaving them alone.

AnnaMac

Asked by AnnaMac at 6:00 PM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• You would think others would learn from others mistakes, yet they do not. Some people need not bare children! 

simple frown

Anonymous

• a 6 month old baby? what a dumbass!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:05 PM on May. 18, 2010

• People really should or do know better. I never left my kids alone when they were small. Even today, I still watch my poor 7 year old like a hawk and he can swim! I'm terrified of it!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:09 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Even when you watch a child accidents still happen. I was actually holding my toddler when he slipped in our tub. An instant knob on the back of his head. It could have been worse. We are extra careful now at bath time and have since placed non skid rubber pads on the bottom of our tub.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:37 PM on May. 18, 2010

• How does a two year old drown in a bath tub? Either the tub was WAY too full, mom was on another floor, or the child had special needs. I don't leave my 2 year old alone in the bath (paranoid and she would dump water all over the floor lol), but I don't see how she could drown in it without me being alerted to it in the next room. The ONLY way I can see a healthy 2 year old in a bath of shallow water drowning is if they slipped and fell and were unconscious, and wouldn't you hear that? I know my house is small, but I can hear my daughter whisper in the tub with her daddy while I cook dinner. I would think I would hear her slam her head hard enough to knock her out. And even if they WEREN'T knocked out, drowning is not a quiet way to die. You don't just lie facedown in water until you die, you kick and scream and fight and gasp and splash. It's instinct, no animal drowns peacefully lol.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:09 PM on May. 18, 2010

• BTW, I AM NOT SAYING TO LEAVE YOUR KIDS ALONE IN THE BATH.

DO NOT leave them alone. If for no other reason then to prevent falls and flooded bathroom floors.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:10 PM on May. 18, 2010

• how horrible... I still watch my almost 6 year old like a hawk in the bath tub. I wouldnt consider leaving her alone, much less her two year old brother! I dont even walk away from the bath tub to the sink..lol..I may just be crazy. They also do not get in a body of water (beach, pool) without an adult with them in the pool or whatever.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:47 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Years ago when the show Rescue 911 was on they did an entire show about child drownings. Kids climbing and falling into washing machines, or in a 5 gallon bucket left in the yard, even the toilet. You just never know. My dad was found floating face down in his pool this past July 5th. Maybe a heart issue...we will never know...moral of the story, don't ever go in water alone, no matter how old you are.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:07 PM on May. 19, 2010