Am I the only one that feels kind of bad for the kids on 19 kids and counting?

I bet a family that big is great fun. I grew up in a family with 8 kids. I loved having that many siblings. At the same time though it was hard. I had way more responsibilities as one of the older kids of the bunch. I was forced to grow up up faster to help with the younger kids. I was always babysitting and helping cook and look after the babies. I missed out on a lot of things. I also didn't get as much one on one time with my mom (dad wasn't in the picture) like I would have if there were less kids. I can only imagine what those kids are missing out on and quality time they don't have. What do you guys think?

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 6:05 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I didn't say that they should do what ever they want. From experience and from what I've seen on the show they have to help take care of the younger kids because there is no way the parents can do it by themselves. A child should not have to act as a parent. Yes they should have to help around the house and with their siblings. I do believe that but to the extent that they have to is to much. They are forced to become caregivers. Whether you think so or not that does cause them to grow up faster because they cannot be a kid.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 9:45 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i agree with you. i think having 19 kids is completley RIDICULOUS. especially for the kids. and you know what, why dont you stop being so selfish - theres other people in this world having kids. save some food for the rest of us! its just out of hand. this "lady" just popped a whole classroom of kids out of her one vagina. who the hell does that? that family is just so wierd to me.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:07 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I feel bad for them too.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:09 PM on May. 18, 2010

• omg you guys really? she is a mother just like you and me. she loves her kids so very much. just because you do not understand something does not make it wrong. i personaly will not have any more then my one child. but christ, being so judgemental towards another mother, is wrong. get over your self. jeez.

ps, all of those kids seem loved and WELL TAKEN CARE OF! there clothes are clean, they are fed and always have someone to pay attnetion to them. you never hear the parents yelling or fighting. it seems that their house is full of love and compassion and TEAM WORK!! michelle is a good mother and jim bob is a good father. though, i am not religious...it seems to be working for them. all of the kids are beautiful and have every right to be apart of this world. they all seem very happy and greatful.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 6:16 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I dont feel bad for them at all......and neither do they, they have said many times that they love having that many siblings and helping ....

My mom grew up with alot of siblings and they are all still best friends... I see my aunts pretty much everyday ... Its a wonderful thing.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 6:16 PM on May. 18, 2010

• There is plenty of food for EVERYONE. She is not the only person in the world to have that many children. She is still a lady no matter how many children she had. As for the "responsibility" thing that is from family to family. It never killed anyone to have chores or help a younger sibling brush their teeth. At least they are still together. My adopted child has SEVERAL siblings from his biofather that he doesn't care to take care of. But, nobody is bitching about people like him breeding and the government is supporting most of his children. And don't even say anything about abortion either.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:26 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Dont feel bad for them at all.. Wish they would adopt me! lol..
    They have very strong christian values, so they are going to "miss out" on alot of stuff that we find "normal" anyway.. So even if it was just a few kids some would feel bad for them b/c they dont get to date, ect. ect.
    They all seem very happy & healthy. And seem to all have giving hearts.
    They have very loving parents & seemed to be "raised right".. most people cant handle 1-2 kids.. and like someone said there isnt yelling in the home..
    I think they are blessed!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:35 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I know where you are coming from, but I think you just dont understand how they are raising their kids.

There are plenty of small families with one two or three kids who grow up raising themselves watching mom and dad drink themselves to death or worse. Think about it, just because you have a small amount of children does not guarantee their happy childhood.

The Duggars seem to really know what is important and are teaching very high morals which are lacking in our country and the kids are amazing. They are so well mannered, not lazy like a lot of kids are, they even play the violin!

I think they are lucky, blessed and even thought their lives are different than most are a wonderful family!
    Anonymous

• Wow a lot of you really didn't understand what I ment by this at all. I am not for a second saying that they are terrible parents or that they aren't being taken care of or that they are miserable. What I said is that they are missing out on things. You can't say that they aren't. I came from a big family and like I said before I wouldn't change it for anything. I love my family and siblings. I am just saying that because there were so many of us none of us got enough quality time with our mom. Also there were more responsiblities for the older kdis so that ment less time to be a kid. We had to grow up faster. I feel bad for those things. I don't think for a second that the mom is a bad mom or that the kids aren't being taken care of. Perhaps next time before you attack someone you should really read the question. I am not saying that to attack anyone. I am just saying it because what I said wasn't what I was attacked for.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 6:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Why are they having "to grow up faster?" Just because they can't do whatever they want when they want doesn't mean they are having to grow up faster.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:16 PM on May. 18, 2010