Is he lying?

My husband claims he got a 150,000 dollar bonus for getting a new job. He is a stockbroker/financial advisor. He worked for a lucrative company so I felt they really wanted him to come work for them. So he got the money. Pretty awesome. So fast forward. Now he says the money was a loan and he did not know. He now has to pay it back and I am furious. They have been taking his checks since January. So we have been living on my income. I find it hard to believe he did not know. I think he was just hoping to gain enough new business to pay it off before I found out. I find it hard to believe that if you are a financial advisor that you did not read the contract before you went to a new job. So even after he has paid it off his income will be much lower than before. I am okay with that except that he owes child support based off his old salary from a year ago. he went from 160,000 to 40,000. However he won't lower his support..cont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• he's lying to you. Even in his job you don't just suddenly learn you pay back the bonus. I think that's not quite right.
    Anonymous

• to reflect this. However he wants me to pay his child support to keep him out of jail. I already have paid a lot of his bills and support. It has been over a year since his earnings have changed. Why won't he lower it.. We are in jeopardy of losing a car and our mortgage is late but he wants to pay $900 a month in child support when it can be lowered to $425.00
    Why would he do this and why does he expect me to help? I am annoyed. What would you think? I am not stupid...I am just trying to figure out his motives. I don't want to think the worst but I feel he is hiding something and lying.
    Anonymous

• he hiding something.... Yall are married file to have that child support lowered...
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 6:28 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I think your right.
    Anonymous

• I have a feeling his "bonus" was some kind of draw against commission...and when you're on the draw you DO have to "pay back" through your commissions.

Financial advisors are paid on commission, not salary. I have a feeling he didn't understand what he was getting into and is covering up the fact that he was STUPID. It's not good for a financial advisor to admit the doesn't understand the financial terms of his employment.

YOU are not responsible for HIS child support. HE is.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:33 PM on May. 18, 2010

• There is no way they would take his whole pay check. It's gotta be go going somewhere else. And if he isn't lying, then he needs to tell them not to take his whole pay check and at least give him enough to pay for child support. Something definitely sounds wrong though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on May. 19, 2010