A WIC question

A friend of mine asked me if I thought that the WIC office would require her son to see a nutritionist if he's not on the growth chart but following the curve. I told her to call and ask. I didn't know what else to tell her since I have no experience with WIC.

Now I'm just wondering about it. Her little boy was a preemie so he is on the small side but he's proportionate if that makes sense. Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• at the wic office i go to they have a nutrionisnist on site.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:59 PM on May. 18, 2010

• At my WIC office we are required to go to a nutritionist no matter where our kids are on the charts. It's just a requirement, but it's only needed like once every 6 months I believe.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:00 PM on May. 18, 2010

• You see a nutritionist every time you go in for an appointment. So yes lol. But it's not because he's not "on the growth curve" (which is bogus anyway), but because that's just what you do. They may tell her that he's small but because he was premature they probably won't nag too hard about it :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:00 PM on May. 18, 2010

• The people you see are nutritionists. If she has concerns then she needs to talk to her child's doctor. But as long as a child is growing at a steady pace, there is nothing to do. My son was not on the charts from about 18 months until he was 12 and because he was growing, the doctor wasn't concerned. WIC kept insisting I wasn't feeding my child but he ate all the time. I finally told WIC to take there coupons and shove them. They tend to get way too invovled in people's lives and think they are experts at every child and they aren't.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:10 PM on May. 18, 2010

• The people you see are nutritionists.My children are REALLY skinny and small.My 1year old is 17 pounds and my 3 year old is 26 pounds.I FEED them.WIC thinks I dont.So I stopped going because they wanted to have someone come check out my home.Thats fine with me but her attitude was NOT.I dont need the milk and bread that bad ;)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:19 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I havent had to use WIC for a long time but I think they have an on site nutritionist along with the other well checks they do
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 8:19 PM on May. 18, 2010

• If she's nursing make sure they're measuring him on WHO approved growth charts for breastfed babies. My son had 30% difference (increase) from the formula fed charts they were using--they were hassling me saying he was underweight, he was also walking at 9 months & his weight leveled off for quite awhile. The nutritionist should be there when she goes.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:31 PM on May. 18, 2010

• : Ctink8189
    At my WIC office we are required to go to a nutritionist no matter where our kids are on the charts. It's just a requirement, but it's only needed like once every 6 months I believe.

Same where I go. Aren't there different growth charts for preemies though? As long as he's following his own curve they can't say much, just tell her the same things they tell other moms. The nutritionists at mine are more into making sure the kids are getting enough from every food group, and answering questions, not to hound moms on forcing their kids to eat more so they pack on the ounds.
    Anonymous

• My son was a preemie. He has to see teh nutritionist at the WIC office at every visit (so every 3 months) the first yr. Then he only saw them every 6 months. We don't get it now though. That is just what they told us on our last visit. The nuritionist at ours is AMAZING! I love them both!!! They are soooo much nicer than the regular ladies who work there! I say don't worry, give them a call if you want and just talk to them. With preemies, they don't tend to try and tell you it's this way or the highway. They know you are being followed closely by a doctor (or at least this was my experience w/ ours).
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i used to be on wic, my son was a very small to he was a month early anyhow wic did not have me see a nutritionist
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 10:39 PM on May. 21, 2010