Do You Know "For Sure" How Your Child Would Answer?

This really opened my eyes. I could be the mother they describe. Not because I think about race; normally I don't...but apparently that's the problem; by thinking we should not make a big deal out of it; our kids inherently do anyway!!

We'll be starting discussions with our older DD now.

____________________
http://bit.ly/cfrRxx

When asked who the smart child is, she points to a light-skinned doll. When asked who the mean child is she points to a dark-skinned doll. She says a white child is good because "I think she looks like me", and says the black child is ugly because "she's a lot darker."

As she answers her mother watches, and gently weeps.

White parents want to give their kids this sort of post-racial future when they're very young and they're under the wrong conclusion that their kids are colorblind. It's in the absence of messages of tolerance that they will naturally ... develop these skin preferences

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 7:34 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:37 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My child is aware of different colors, but he has always said he thinks other skin colors than ours (white) are beautiful. Not sure if we were any influence on that,.. he is just a really sweet boy.
    Anonymous

• Well, all my dd's dolls are black, and we live near some black people. Her dad is white. So, I'm not sure how she would answer.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:39 PM on May. 18, 2010

• well if it's naturally developed, then obviously there is a natural instinct to avoid other races. im not racist. racist means one feels superior to because of their race. i just think that all things are color coded, including people. history proves time and time again that when nations collide, the result is never good. people should stick to their own kind. this test is proof that our most primitive intuition tells us to do so.

Anonymous

• Wow; if I said something so hateful I'd hide behind Anon too
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:02 PM on May. 18, 2010

• it's not at all hateful! i don't hate white people or black people or any people! i love and respect all people. i just think we are different colors for a reason. if we all kept to our own people, there would be less war, less dependency, less disease, and less conflict over all. i post anon because of small minded people like yourself.

Anonymous

• My 8 year old has always chosen darker skinned dolls to play with. It actually concerned me a little when she was younger since she is white with blond hair and yet she always thought that the darker dolls were more beautiful. I tried not to discourage it, but support the idea that they were all beautiful, just different. She still does think people with dark skin are pretty, but as she's gotten older I can see that she is also comfortable in her own skin.

Answer by missanc at 8:22 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i post anon because of small minded people like yourself.
    _________

LMAO your hysterical - I'm small minded but you think people should stick to their own kind!! Uh yeah ok; whatever you say.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:27 PM on May. 18, 2010

• To each his own.. as long as you dont go shoving your opinion down anyone else throat, you know. My kids are mixed. I'm blk and dh is wht. When my son was 5 he asked what "color" he is. I told him he's brown. Which to be honest, if you didnt know better you'd think he was hispanic. He asked why i'm "so" black and daddys "so" white. I explained to him that love knows no color, no bounds. I asked him , "If mommy were yellow with blue dots and red stripes, would you still love me" . To which he replied, yes. I then said, "Of course you would, because the color of a persons skin is not important, what is, is the character of that person". Character took awhile to explain lol. Anyway, I know how my kids would answer... they'd point and tell you, "Neither one of those dolls is smart. Cuz thier dolls." LOL
    I raise my kids to know that there are different races yes, but none more superior than the other. To each her own method.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 8:41 PM on May. 18, 2010

• :14 PM on May. 18, 2010 by: Anonymous
    it's not at all hateful! i don't hate white people or black people or any people! i love and respect all people. i just think we are different colors for a reason. if we all kept to our own people, there would be less war, less dependency, less disease, and less conflict over all. i post anon because of small minded people like yourself
    *******************
    If we kept to our own people?????? For Gods sake....we are all our own people no matter what our colors are!!! My son's best friend is African American and Creole and his wife is a blond Swede. They have beautiful children. He is a successful attorney. DO you think they should have "kept to their own people"????? SHAME ON YOU!!!!
    I can't believe that anyone still thinks the way you do. YOU have a closed mind!!!!
    ANd I won't be ANON.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:45 PM on May. 18, 2010