Where to find reliable childcare for a toddler?

I have recently begun dating again, and I have not had to find a babysitter before as my folks help me out a few hours at a time, but now I need more help than they can give and I don't know where to start looking. I have heard of some places that do a 'kid's night out' from time to time but I'm just really not plugged into a social group of other parents right now and hope to find some good resources. Thanks!

babyzionsmama

Asked by babyzionsmama at 7:45 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually check with your pediatrician. They can usually point you in the direction of teenagers who would love to earn some cash.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:56 PM on May. 18, 2010

• utilize the "new age"communication facilities ie internet sites such as sittercity.com and care.com. I actually have found my babysitter for date nights on these sites. They do the background checks for you. The only catch is you do have to pay a low monthly subscription, which IMO is a small price to pay for quality care. You can cancel at any time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 19, 2010

• For day time or just night time? There are a few programs at high school ( here in Oregon) where the school kids help watch children alongside the teachers. Mostly for the teen moms so they can go to their classes. But its very inexpensive, and free if you qualify for assistance. But they are day time programs only =/
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 12:32 AM on May. 19, 2010