Why does everyone think you can't get pregnant while BF?

I did! I was only breastfeeding my then 6 month old daughter and I got pregnant. Plus I was on the pill and using condoms 90% of the time. I had never heard of BF helping to prevent pregnancy before cafemom and I have seen it on here multiple times. What's the truth behind all of this?

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 7:49 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you nurse regularly between 6 and 8 times a day it is supposed to help supres your period enough so that you don't ovulate, which means that you can't get pregnant. I don't know about not getting pregnant while you are nursing. I have heard that your odds are much smaller though. You are just a fertile Myrtle.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:55 PM on May. 18, 2010

• It use to be that if you were only breastfeeding that it would stave off ovulation, then when solids would be started, normally about 7-9 months, you would start ovulating. Now with more people not breast feeding as much, and I'm also talking about time during the day, and starting solids earlier....it's not a reliable method anymore. I know that when my dad was growing up, in the 1930's pretty much everyone in any given family was about 10-12 months apart. There was a family in my town when I was in high school that almost every one of their kids was 10 months apart. In can be done, you just have to do it right.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:55 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Because BF full time will usually stop your period. No period, no egg to be fertilized. Well, I said USUALLY.....because I got pregnant too!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:58 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Also it is only for the first 6 months...after 6 months the chances increase of you getting pregnant. Same with birth control pills...not 100% effective, condoms as well...Nothing is completely safe.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:00 PM on May. 18, 2010

• People are dumb. You don't have to ahve a period to ovulate. If you're having sex and have a uterus & ovaries, you can get pregnant, plain and simple. Nothing prevents it 100% except abstinence. I'm glad there's someone else who knows better!
    Anonymous

• There's a NFP method called ecological breastfeeding. It's my understanding that it's 98-99% effective in avoiding pregnancy if these 3 conditions are met 1) Baby is LESS then 6 months old 2) menstrual cycle has NOT returned and 3) baby is ONLY breastfeed. If those 3 conditions are NOT met then it becomes less and less effective in avoiding pregnancy. SOME people have had success in spacing children up to 2 years with this form of NFP. However, I doubt it is the only form they used. They most likely use it WITH Systematic NFP.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:36 PM on May. 18, 2010