Please list a soft food that is NOT sweet.

I have a broken jaw bone. I have been drinking Ensure Plus for the past month and it looks like I will be drinking it for at least 3 more weeks. Besides rice, pasta and mashed potatoes, what is a non-sweet soft food? I have had my fill of soups, too. I blend those that are chunky into a watery mess. I have pureed a slice of pizza, a hot dog and beans and other meals into a paste.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 8:06 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• avocado
    plain yogurt
    real oatmeal
    hummus
    baked potatoes, or any baked and mashed root vegetables

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 PM on May. 18, 2010

• scrambled eggs?
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:08 PM on May. 18, 2010

• oh... you poor thing!

You can blend raw salads, made from greens, tomatoes, cucumber, etc. It's actually really tasty!!!

I know you said no sweet, but fresh fruit smoothies pack a huge nutritional punch.

Avocado slices are a favorite.

Steamed veggies (on the overcooked side)

Braised cabbage with a little vinegar & salt.

Sweet potatoes are the MOST COMPLETE food on the planet, you literally could live off of them and be healthy (although orange! lol) Sprinkle w/ some cinnamon... mmm...

Cottage Cheese
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:11 PM on May. 18, 2010

• soft boiled egg, cream of wheat, fish, (tuna) That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of others.
    Anonymous

• oatmeal, yogurt, sugar free pudding
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 8:15 PM on May. 18, 2010

• tuna, grits, scrambled eggs, yams with out the marshmallows.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:25 PM on May. 18, 2010

• When you say sweet, do you mean sugar-laden, or sweet, period? Unsweetened applesauce, and a smoothie made from ONLY fruit & veggies, without any yogurt, ice cream, etc in it, is sweet but not sugary. Spinach & carrots are good in smoothies, and bananas and avocados make them creamy. I struggled with foods too a couple of times in the last few years (spent dr-forced time on a liquied diet, and had a bunch of dental work done another time). I got to a point where I was only drinking the bare minimum to stay hydrated - which I don't suggest! GL, I hope the next 3 weeks fly by for you!
    Anonymous

• yikes. make some smoothies. use yogurt. add some fruits of your choice. maybe even a little juice, i prefer orange or pomegranate. and cube up some tofu for protein, as tofu doesn't really have a taste...takes on the taste of what it's cooked in or blended with. i would advise you use about a half cup of yogurt. i cubed up the tofu into 8 chunks and use 2 chunks per smoothie. and if adding juice like 1/4 to half cup.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I was so desperate for something salty, I made Bisquick drop biscuits with Miracle Whip instead of water or milk. They came out okay. But it did satisfy my salt crave. Ensure IS a complete food, yes 4 cans is 1250 calories, but, that icky sweet is just disgusting. This is the third time my jaw has been broken, this was an accident after the dentist pushed way to hard putting a crown on a tooth. He grabbed my lower left jaw and the crown and pushed down. The metal plate that holds the lower jaw together was held by 4 screws. He popped 2 of the screws off and the metal gave way. OUCH. We are in a waiting game to see if the bone is meshing without new surgery.

Recipe for Hummus?  It is $5 for a 6oz package. 

Anonymous