Is a bowl of cereal a healthy before bed snack?

Being pregnant, my eating habits are out of whack and weird,lol.
I'm not hungry till afternoon then I eat but 'm not hungry at dinner, but I try to eat a little of it because DH gets upset with me if I don't.
But just when I'm ready to go to bed for the night, THATS when I'm hungry,lol.
So I've been eating a bowl of cereal.
I've never liked eating before bed,I think its unhealthy.
But do you think it will be alright or will it pack on the pounds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• hehe, glad to see i am not the only one. What is funny is it has been so hard for me to cook dinner because that is when the nausea hits I try to eat dinner but i just can not stomach it then about 930-10 I just HAVE to have a bowl of cereal. I have almost eating a whole bag of cereal in 4 nights (one of those big bags of cereal you buy at wal-mart)
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:21 PM on May. 18, 2010

• if it's a whole grain cereal and not a sugary cereal then yes
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:15 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I have to have a snack before bed due to gestational diabetes - I'm 32 weeks and have only gained 3 lbs, so it hasn't affected my weight at all. It depends on the cereal as far as whether it's healthy or not. If you're eating Fruity Pebbles or something . . . not so great. lol But if you're eating a generally healthier cereal, then that plus the milk - probably a fairly good choice, and if you add in a fresh fruit (some berries) then that's even better!

Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on May. 18, 2010

• It's better than a lot of other choices. Whole-grain, high fiber, low sugar, and low-fat milk, and you're good to go.
    Anonymous

• At this point... whatever you can stomach is just fine as long as it is edible! Lots of pregnant mamas need to eat something before bed to keep from being sick overnight or first thing in the morning.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:36 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Time of day has nothing to do with weight gain. Dieters will suggest not eating at night because it's a helpful rule for people who have a hand-to-mouth weight problem.

You can figure your daily calorie needs based on your BMI, fitness level, and gestation. Get those calories any time you can. It's best for most tummies and blood sugar levels to graze all day. But some people just can't.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:19 AM on May. 19, 2010