dr prescribed fluoride drops for my 6m old- ebf- cannot take with dairy?

There needs to be a three hour span where she doesn't have any dairy, breastmilk included- i asked, and there just isn't that kind of time during the day. She will go 3 hours without nursing at night but i'm not going to wake up to give her a fluoride drop.

advice?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:00 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not even breast milk, human breast milk isnt dairy though...
    anywho
    well, feed her for the last time at night and right before she goes to sleep at night give it to her.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:04 PM on May. 18, 2010

• it says no dairy, breastmilk included, 1 hour before or two hours after. she eats right before bed
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:08 PM on May. 18, 2010

• guess there's no right answer, unless the pharmacist was wrong about breastmilk
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:12 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Why's she getting fluoride? I don't know a lot about it, except that it is very controversial and poisonous. Some people believe fluoride is a conspiracy to cause disease.... I don't know, but if it was given to my kid, I would do a lot of research.... Good luck!
    Anonymous

• ...... scary!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:35 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I don't get why a doctor would be prescribing fluoride to a baby that age anyway. Fluoride works best when it is applied topically to the the teeth anyway. Just brush with a fluoride tooth cleaner 3 times a day and you'll probably be better off.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:49 PM on May. 18, 2010

• My son has the flouride drops and it is only 30 minutes.
    It counter acts the iron and makes it not work. But all the other vitamins are safe, so its better to give it to her w milk than not at all.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:03 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Easy. Don't give the flouride.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:47 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Breastmilk is NOT dairy. It is a clear fluid. If you're allowed to give a clear fluid before the drops, then you can give breastmilk. Many doctors make the mistake of equating breastmilk with dairy, and dentists are no better.

I would be leery of these drops, however.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 AM on May. 19, 2010

• What kind of research have you done on the floride drops? Are you certain that they are medically necessary?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:48 AM on May. 19, 2010