Baby shower reminded me of a question I wanted to ask awhile ago about guests bringing their children to your baby shower!

My son is over a year now but I always wanted to ask this question. Jan 09' I had my baby shower. My mom threw it at her house for me and did most of the planning for me! When doing the invites, we BOTH decided we wanted it to be only adults as her house wasn't child proof yet and she has a pool. As well as some of the women invited have children who have to be the center of the attention and she felt it was a celebration for my husband, unborn son and I. One of the guests was very upset that she could not bring her grandchildren (4 and 1 1/2) and ended up not showing up. The relationship with her has been very awkward now. Were my mom and I wrong for not allowing children to the shower?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• well its her house so no not wrong. \

at my babyshower my sis was there and i told her to bring some friends, there was a park, but all the kids went to the park, they were away from the main event...so I guess if they were running around and being loud and such some people would be annoyed
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:36 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't say you were wrong. As a mother IDK how I would feel and most likely not go anyways, because I may not have a sitter. But as a grandma, is she raising the kids? But when you become a mother you may have different feelings about these kind of invites. A wedding, I would understand, but a baby shower...I've never been to a shower that didn't have children and babies at it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:36 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Nope
    Anonymous

• i have no problem with kids at mine. maybe you should have picked a different place to have it. i made sure i had some activities and games for them too.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:38 PM on May. 18, 2010

• You're not wrong at all... But i probably wouln't go without my baby...
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 9:39 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Interesting...I have attended countless baby showers and the only children every at any of them were if the shower was after the babys birth. I don't think you were wrong. Mainly, because it was stated up front..on the invitation. If this strained a relationship perhaps that relationship needed to be reevaluated anyway. Even if she couldn't attend she could have sent a gift beforehand...or even after. Don't sweat the small stuff...unless it's life or death..it's small stuff.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:41 PM on May. 18, 2010

• no. it doesnt matter where it was, it was YOUR day, your choice. your "friend" who has been acting badly to you, is not a friend and she is very rude. Now my only exception would be if a breastfeeding mom, called and explained that situation, then I would be ok ith that baby coming. But this woman is mad about her grandkids? thats just silly and its nothing you should feel bad about.if she continues, confront her on her bad manners! enjoy your baby. ;)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:45 PM on May. 18, 2010

• If kids are invited they're invited. You should always call ahead and see if it's ok to bring your baby...but like you said it should be the soon to be/new mother's day to celebrate her baby and not have everyone drooling over other peoples' babies.
    I've always felt uncomfortable even thinking about bringing any of my kids for that reason alone....it's not right.
    Anonymous

• No you are NOT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We put adult shower on my sis's invites and mine becasue we both had beautiful elegant showers and it was just too much to pay for all those seats for everyone's kids! Here in Philadelphia restaurants and halls do a head count for their events and they aren't cheap. There is a time and a place for kids and I don't think a shower is one of them. All kids want to do is open the gifts and confuse everything. The guest of honor ends up flustered and not knowing who bought what! We had some people get offended and we did not care! Get over it already. It's not the end of the world to leave your kid at home for 3 hours! To get mad and not go is selfish and childish. It's not their shower so they don't have a say.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:01 PM on May. 18, 2010

• if its a baby shower then why shouldnt other children be allowed to attend, what are you going to do with your child when you have no sitter and want to go somewhere
    Anonymous