Is my 3 yr old the only one that seems to shut down or not comprehend things? She is also very shy....

My daughter is smart. She knows how to count say half of her ABCs. She knows a lot of things. When we ask her to do things or she gets in trouble she seems like she is zoning out. Or sometimes she starts telling a story about something else. She has an amazing imagination and is always telling stories. I think she just doesn't like to get in trouble and that is her way of "avoiding" it. We don't yell at her and yes sometimes we do spank her but we aren't abusive so stop those thoughts now. She is also very shy and doesn't like talking to new people. It drives my husband crazy. I was shy and I like that she is shy. I like that she doesn't go up to everyone and anyone. My husband thinks that she should be ok talking to people if we are there and are talking to them. He thinks she should be comfortable because of it. I don't think she has a problem. My husband on the other hand does. Does anyone else have this problem?

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 9:57 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dd is 3 and extremely smart. she sometimes does the story thing too. it's like she is trying to ignore the fact. which doesnt really get her anywhere but more trouble.
    she is REALLY shy. she wont talk to people unless it's our family and she knows them. i see no problem with this. i was shy and it kept me out of a lot of trouble.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:13 PM on May. 18, 2010

• See, That is what I keep saying to my husband. That she isn't the only kid like this. It is normal for her. I grew out of it and she will too.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:17 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Some kids are shy, you can't really change that. My daughter is shy and I was shy, it is just how some kids are. I wouldn't worry and pushing her to be out going when she is not will only make her more shy. My daughter does the story thing too, I think it's just normal kid stuff.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:20 PM on May. 18, 2010