when did you take your child to their 1st dental check up?

I have read as soon as 6 months to introduce them to the dentist. And 15 months for their 1st check up. Has anyone done that?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 9:59 PM on May. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• 2..it really depends on your dentist. SOme won't see them till 3 or 4. My dentist will see them at 2 but they let you know they may not be able to do the full visit depending on the child. My kids were very cooperatove so at 2 they were able to do it all.
    Anonymous

• you're to go when their first tooth fully erupts.... usually about 6-8 months.

If you wait longer than 12-15 months you could be missing pain, cavities, etc and potentially be looking at root canals or pulling teeth.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:01 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I talked to my dentist. He said that as long as they weren't having any dental issues, no pain, no sensitivity, and no damage (chips or breaks) that there was no reason for them to go until they are ready for school because these teeth are temporary. But my peds yelled at me today for listening to him - she said that kids need to start going around 3yrs...

So take your pick... I'll be making him an apt for a check up w/in the next 6 months or so... And he turned 4 yesterday.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 PM on May. 18, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatric Dentists (sister organization to the American Academy of Pediatricians) established the 1st tooth eruption as a basic standard of care. The AAPD, AAP, Crest, Colgate, etc etc all also suggest finding a pediatric dentist, not a regular adult dentist. You wouldn't take your pogo stick to be repaired at a Dodge dealership ..... infant, toddler, and kids teeth are entirely different in structure, disease, etc than adult teeth. They also get extra special training in dealing with children that standard dentists simply do not receive. You child should not go to the same dentist as you til their teeth are done coming in.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:08 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Cavities start as soon as the first tooth breaks through. My son was at a dentist at 10 months old because he had 6 teeth and had nearly all his teeth by a year old and has been going every 6 months since then, he is now 5 and has perfect teeth. It always annoys me when you hear one thing from this dentist and something else from another or so people say... Most dentists who tell you over 3 are usually adult dentists, where as pediatric dentists usually tell you 1-2 or as soon as they have over half their teeth. Usually if you wait until your child is older they have some sort of irreversible damage or problems with their teeth that could have been taken care of had it been caught earlier.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:38 PM on May. 18, 2010

• "because these teeth are temporary. " damage to baby teeth can lead to problems and damage to adult teeth if not caught and taken care of. alot of people don't realize that and have that same sense of thought of "oh they're going to fall out anyway"
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:39 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i am going with my daughter in july because i was told by a pedriatic dentis by her first birthday. she will be 15months so close enough.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:47 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Just took them both, almost 2 and 3 1/2.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:59 AM on May. 19, 2010

• 2 is the normal age i think unless something is wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on May. 19, 2010

• 18 months

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on May. 19, 2010