How can I tell my new neighors that I don't want them to play in my house?

I have a 3 yr old daughter and 6 month old daughter. The new neighbors are 4 and 5 yr old sisters. They just moved from the country and the parents let them run around the neighborhood bare foot. The 5 year old pees in her pants all the time. I allowed them to play in my house a couple times and I have them wash their hands before they come inside. Their feet are black with dirt and I cringe when the little girl sits on my couch. I don't know how to say this to their parents without offending them. I need help. I've never been in this situation before. My daughter enjoys the company of the 4 year old. The 5 year old doesn't seem to be social. Not sure why she pees in her pants still. I tried to hint to her parent but she doesnt seem to be concerned. They keep asking to come inside to play and I am running out of excuses. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on May. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell them they have to play outside?
    Anonymous

• I'd say "sweetie run back home and have your Mommy change your pants"
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:23 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I agree. Just tell them to play outside.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:24 PM on May. 18, 2010

• I have that happen here all the time. The neighbor's DD tried to go into my house today (she's 5) I just flat out told her "no, we're playing outside, if you want to go inside, you can go home" Of course I said it very nicely, but firmly. If they come over and you don't want to play outside, then just tell them that it isn't a good time to play but that they can come back another time. That's what I do anyway.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:25 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Set up fun activities outside.
    Anonymous

• I'm surprised nobody has said that this sounds like a major case of neglect and you should do something about it. I know I would either talk to the parents or call CPS. Sorry this is not cool.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:45 PM on May. 18, 2010

• It's not your job to babysit. Just tell them "today isn't a good day, we're busy so run on home!" The kids are too little to get it. Maybe if they run home, the parents will clue in but I doubt it. This truly is a tough one. Ask the Mom one day where the shoes are. And if you have to, tell Mom that you just cannot have her in your house with urine soaked pants...for obvious reasons. That to me is alarming. Is she disabled or being abused? I agree, maybe a call to CPS is needed.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:09 PM on May. 18, 2010

• Seriously? A 4 and 5 yr old little girl are running around by themselves? all day, every day? Whoa! major red flags going up about that... something could happen to them in a heartbeat, and if it happened on your property, guess who they'd point fingers at? I'd be really busy with my little one everyday and not available until they get the hint... and maybe like PP said, call for help for these little girls...WOW...

Anonymous

• We have an open door policy in our neighborhood. Kids are running all over house to house most of the time. My cut off is 6 pm and they all know it and abide by it. Maybe their old neighborhood was like that...kids running about. I don't see it as neglect. BUT, your house, your rules-you can just tell them what your rules are and if dirty feet are not allowed-let her know it. I think its OK to not want them in the house-you just need to be kind about how you say it.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:55 PM on May. 18, 2010

• soyousay...the neglect is kids running around with no shoes till their feet are black, a 5 year old wetting her pants. Sorry but a child running around with no shoes until their feet are black and wearing urine covered clothes especially at 5 years old is NEGLECT!!!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:00 AM on May. 19, 2010